4th Intensive Course on Editing ( May 23- 28, 2011 )Institute of Book Publishing
- New delhi
• Role of an editor in a publishing house (including acquisition
and commissioning of manuscripts).
• Author-editor/publisher relationship.
• Copyright, permissions, other legal issues and editor’s
• House style: Its importance and how to develop it + Practice.
• Copy editing and tools of editing.
• Grammar and punctuation: Syntactical issues, Punctuation,
Hyphens, ems and ens, Quotation marks + Practice.
• Marking up: How, why, when, what.
• Style and level: Capitals, italics, numbers, purpose and level.
• Copy editing and proofreading Symbols + Practice.
• Tables, technical symbols and copyfitting: Abridging and
• Editing online + Practice.
• Visual editing: Type fonts, Structure and Design.
• Cover to cover: Covers and binding, prelims, body of the book,
running heads, end matter-references, notes, further reading
• Field visit to a publishing/printing house.
• Making a proposal.
• Editing fiction and practice.
• Editing translations and language publications.
• The art of making an index.
• Delivery of content online - e-publishing and other options.
• Editorial dilemmas.
• Panel discussion: role and responsibilities of an editor.
• Summing up.