Advanced Mergers and Acquisitions Lawwww.mylaw.net
What you'll learn on the course
Law and Business
Law for Business
Law and Commerce
Teachers and trainers (1)
An alumnus of NLSIU, Bangalore, Deepa was formerly a Senior Associate in the General Corporate and Insurance Team of Amarchang Mangaldas Suresh A. Shroff & Co. She led numerous transaction teams through the drafting, negotiating, and closing of various high profile M & A transactions. At Rainmaker, Deepa focuses on courses in the corporate commercial field and writes regularly on issues relating to Mergers & Acquisitions, Drafting and Reviewing Commercial Contracts and Insurance Law.
P R O G R A M M E O U T L I N E
Unit 1: Understanding Lending Transactions
• Study the different methods of financing mergers and acquisitions.
• Examine the role of lending transactions in mergers and acquisitions.
• Understand the regulatory regime governing lending by domestic and overseas banks.
Unit 2: Understanding Stamp Duty and Registration Laws
• Learn the law on stamp duty and registration in India and identify the events or documents on which stamp duty is levied.
• Understand the role of registration in M&A transactions and the nature of documents to be registered under the Registration Act, 1908.
Unit 3: Understanding Employment and Labour Law Issues
• Study the legal framework for employment and labour laws in India.
• Identify specific provisions of the Industrial Disputes Act, 1947 and Shops and Establishment Acts that apply to M&A transactions.
Unit 4: Understanding Mergers and Acquisitions: Competition Law Perspective
• Examine the need for competition laws in India.
• Analyse the impact of the Competition Act, 2002 and all the rules and regulations issued thereunder on M&A activity in India.
• Identify M&A transactions that require approval from the Competition Commission of India.
Unit 5: Understanding Mergers and Acquisitions: From a Listed Company’s Perspective
• Study two important regulations from the perspective of listed companies—the Takeover Code and the Insider Trading Regulations.
• Analyse these regulations from the perspective of M&A transactions.
Unit 6: Understanding the Due Diligence Process
• Understand what a ‘due diligence’ is and its importance in M&A transactions.
• Identify the parties involved in a due diligence process and key points or issues that must be identified in any due diligence.
Unit 7: Understanding Legal Documentation for Mergers and Acquisitions
• Examine the structure and content of documents required to implement mergers and acquisitions, including a merger or de-merger scheme, share purchase, share subscription or shareholders agreements, business purchase agreements, and asset transfer agreements.
Unit 8: Drafting of Legal Documentation - I
• Draft specific clauses in commercial agreements, such as the conditions precedent to completion clause, and the completion clause.
• Analyse the purpose of each of these clauses in M&A transactions.
Unit 9: Drafting of Legal Documentation - II
• Draft indemnification and representations & warranties clauses.
• Analyse the meaning of these clauses in commercial agreements and understand their role and importance in M&A transactions.