The Anand Agricultural University was incorporated as a teaching and affiliating University for imparting education in agriculture and allied sciences. The Gujarat Act No. 5 of 2004 was passed by Gujarat Legislature and assented by H.E. the Governor of Gujarat on 4th March 2004. The AAU has a long cherished history. Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, a Statesman and Iron man of India and Dr. K. M. Munshi, one of the authors of Indian Constitution had established Krushi-Go-Vidhya Bhavan or Institute of Agriculture, Anand in 1938 to revitalize agriculture and train farmers and their sons and daughters in modern practices of agriculture so that they can raise their head and live in prosperity.
The Institute of Agriculture was popularly known as Khetiwadi, which later on in June, 1972 became the part of Gujarat Agricultural University. The Institute of Agriculture, Anand had B. A. College of Agriculture, established in 1947 which was affiliated to Bombay University upto 1956 then with Gujarat Univerity upto 1962 and finally with Sardar Patel University, Vallabh Vidhyanagar along with Sheth M. C. College of Dairy Science, established in 1960. Later on in 1972 they became integral part of Gujarat Agricultural University along with the Government College of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry, Anand which was established in 1964.
The activities of Anand zone of erstwhile Gujarat Agricultural University, as it was known then, have been transferred to newly established Anand Agricult