ArchitectureDayananda Sagar Institutions
Price on request
Main focus area of study:
Architecture is the creation of space both functionally and aesthetically fulfilled. It is an art and technology fused perfectly. Students are trained to have artistic and creative skills and at the same time are taught about the constructional science, methodology, and technology. Constructing functionally, aesthetically and economically viable structures are the prime aim of the study, which will be the foundation creative step for the students to achieve their future step successfully.
Why a student has to choose this field:
Architecture is the future of global infrastructure in these days of expanding cities, creation of habitable space, which is elegant and comfortable. Architecture is the medium through which effective use of space is possible.
Infrastructure is developing at an extremely fast pace and architects are very much in demand. Be it in the construction of a dam, a bridge, a high rise, or a house, architects are becoming more of a necessity bringing in style, value and innovation to new building designs. They are the future of one of the critical sectors of the economy. With construction seeing a massive boom professionally qualified architects are being engaged to match the increasing requirements and worldwide demand.
Career options for Architects:
A growing and demanding population:
Individual families converting their dreams into reality encouraged with attractive funding options from financial services companies, banks, employers and own funds. EMIs match rent out go. The logic is to build your own home.
Government - KPWD, P&T
Public Sector- ITI, BEML, HAL, Kudremukh and many other organisations.
Architecture firms - Sundaram Associates, Zacharia, Jaisim's Fountainhead, Sarab Associates and other major Architectural firms.
Teaching-All engineering colleges under VTU offering B. ARCH. Programs.
Builders- Raheja, Shobha, Purvankara, Brigrade and Prestige.
New subjects/ areas of study:
1. Passive Solar Architecture - To apply the principles of solar passive architecture in design.
2. Earthquake Resistant structures - To provide awareness and introduction to earthquake prevention measures in buildings
3. Constitutional law - To provide basic knowledge of Indian constitution.
4. Art Appreciation - To provide appreciation & understanding of various types of arts.
Current Research Efforts
· We are developing a lab with the assistance of Civil Lab to manufacture prefabricated structural modules for shelters. Eminent professionals can guide the methodology, approach, execution and research. The modules can be manufactured with proper materials, usable design starting from foundation blocks, column beams or portal beams, slabs and other super structures.
· We are developing a creative research cell to deal with soil cement blocks and economically viable structure to serve the majority of the society. This research will really give a useful impact on India, as one of the developing and densely populated countries.
The challenge was to produce architects of national excellence, which was met with great success.
A plan was developed to incorporate new methods into the teaching-learning process. Coming from a series of strong measures which was planned and executed with precision:
1. Classroom lectures adopted technology for regular teaching, thanks to the DSI campus, which is Wi-Fi enabled and equipped with several smart classrooms.
2. With technology coming in, closer interaction with faculty inside and experts from across the world is now possible.
3. Architects regarded as highly creative and very successful are now on the panel of consulting/visiting/adjunct faculties.
4. Closer interaction with professional bodies nationally and internationally.
5. Ongoing interactions with large construction companies.
6. New knowledge is gained through participation in conferences/seminars/workshops.
7. Live projects from construction companies, architecture firms through outsourcing process.
8. Supervision/quality check/audit works for small individual, medium and large construction projects give real experience, add to confidence build-up in students, and enhance professional strengths and reputation of the profession itself.
9. The last two years of field work and network build-up give a good starting point for a would be architect, planning, an independent consulting career, three-four years post qualification.
10. Housing financing activities of banks and companies will see new use of an architect trained with the above parameters. Employability through very new sources helping new options open up dramatically.
· The Department hosted the National NASA (national association of students of architecture) convention in the year 1999 in which over 3500 delegates participated.
· The department has a unit of the NIDC (NASA information and documentation centre) where documented NASA works of several colleges have been preserved.
· Our students have participated in several inter collegiate competitions in Bangalore and won many prizes.
· The students participated in the prestigious Louis Kahn trophy for the NASA held at Bombay.
· The results of all semesters are above 80% and we also have a few university ranks every year.
· The department has several well-experienced staff with many drawn from the industry.
· The department has infrastructure needed to make it one of the best departments in Karnataka.
Construction activity is booming and big firms easily absorb the students passing out. 75% of the students are employed with well known architectural firms based in India and around 20% are placed with multinational companies like Atkins, Jones Lang, Jurong consultants, HOK, Cliffrechards. a few of our graduates have started off on their own after a few years of professional experience.
The department has the necessary infrastructure needed to make it one of the best departments in Karnataka which includes large and modern state of the art class rooms, laboratories, studios, seminar halls, faculty center, library and computer laboratory with Internet facility.