B.A.(Hons.) PhilosophyINDRAPRASTHA COLLEGE FOR WOMEN
Price on request
- New delhi
Indraprastha College, the oldest women’s college in Delhi, was founded in 1924 as part of a country-wide campaign for women’s education and empowerment. Several educationists, philanthropists, public-spirited citizens and members of the Theosophical Society such as Dr. Annie Besant, played a leading role in this movement in Delhi.
The college had its origins in two rooms of the Indraprastha Girls’ School at Chippiwara behind Jama Masjid in Old Delhi with an enrollment of just two students. In 1938, due to the efforts of its first Principal, Miss Leonara G’meiner, and other like-minded persons, the college moved to its present elegant premises in Civil Lines. Known as ‘Alipore House’, the premises had been the office-cum-residence of the then British Commander-in-Chief.
Today, the college has an enrollment of over 2000 students and offers a wide range of courses and activities. While it retains its natural beauty, spaciousness, and old world charm, the college has moved with the times to meet the demands made by a developing modern society. The college offers courses in Humanities, Social Sciences and Commerce in addition to several vocational courses. We were the first women’s college to introduce vocational courses in response to the UGC proposal for vocationalization of educational curriculum. The most recent additions to these courses are the integrated Computer Science course in 1997 and the Mass Media and Mass Communication course in 1999.