BA IN PHILOSOPHYUniversity of Delhi
Price on request
- New delhi
BA IN PHILOSOPHY
PAPER - I : Logical Reasoning
Section - A
Classification of Propositions and distribution of terms.
Traditional square of opposition and its Critique (Existential Import), Immediate
inferences: Conversion, Obversion and Contraposition.
Mediate Inference (Categorical Syllogism), figures and moods, special rules
governing each figure, rules and fallacies.
Types of truth Functions (Negation, Conjunction, Disjunction (Alternation),
Conditional (Material Implication,), Bi-conditional (Material Equivalence),
Sheffers Stroke function. Interdefinability of Truth Functions.
Symbolization Truth and validity. Decision procedures: Truth Table Method, Reductio ad
and absurdum Formal proof of validity using only first nine rules of inference.
Predicate Logic: Universal and existential quantifiers, symbolization of
Informal fallacies - Definition and Examples
PAPER - II : Ethics : Theory and Pratice
Section - A
1. Ethics : A definition of the field and its demarcation from the fields of
customs, conventions and laws.
2. Virtue Ethics: Aristotle: Well-being Definition of Virtue, Concept of the
Golden mean with special reference to Courage and Temperance, Moral
and Intellectual virtue.
3. Deontological Ethics : Immanuel Kant, concept of Duty, Good will,
4. Consequentialist Ethics: Mill s Utilitarianism.
6. Female Foeticide
7. Capital Punishment
8. Cruelty to Animals
10. Nis.kama Karma
11. Buddhist and Jaina Ethics
12. Gandhi s Concept of Ahi m.
SECTION - A
1. Knowledge and Opinion: Plato.
2. Descartes Mind-Body Dualism and its critique by Ryle.
3. Berkeley s Critique of Locke s Theory of Material Substance.
4. Sartre s Critique of Determinism and his Humanism.
5. Russell and Copleston debate on the Existence of God.