Birsa Institute of Technology, formerly known as Bihar Institute of Technology, Sindri was started as College of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering in 1949 at Patna. After one year it was shifted to Sindri on 17th November 1950 and thus was born BIT Sindri with a Principal, three Professors and sixty Students in a simple ceremony with a cup of tea on the dining table. The institute grew and flourished rapidly during the early days under the dynamic leadership of Prof D.L.Deshpande, the then Director[1950-61], who is regarded as the architect of the institute.The institute is located at a distance of 28 kms from Dhanbad railway station linked by rail as well as road. It has a sprawling campus of about 400 acres of land near the eastern bank of river Damodar. There are 25 hostels in the campus, separate for boys and girls, catering the residential requirements of around 3000 undergraduate, postgraduate and research students. The institute is fully residential for students as well as teaching and non-teaching staff.