Bishop Heber College is a religious minority educational institution established by the Tiruchirappalli - Thanjavur Diocese of the Church of South India. Its main objective is to cater for the higher educational needs of the members of the Church of South India and other Christians and specially to provide for them an educational atmosphere in keeping with the Christian ideals of the Church. The College, however, admits students of all faiths and religions and seeks to provide for them the best possible higher education.Bishop Heber College traces its origin back to Christian Frederick Schwartz, the first German missionary, supported by SPCK. in South India. He built a school near the Rock Fort in Tiruchirappalli in 1762. The School was vested in the Society for the Promotion of Christian Knowledge, and subsequently handed over to the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in 1825.