BLUE: a symposium exploring aspects of life in ancient EgyptUdemy
What you'll learn on the course
The world has always been a colourful place. But do we see the colours of our modern world in exactly the same way that the people of ancient Egypt saw the colours of their land? This course will help you to consider how the ancients viewed their world by introducing you to a remarkable, vibrant time and place: a place where the sea was not blue, but green.
See the Ancient World Through Different Eyes
·Learn how the ancient Egyptians regarded the colours blue, green and “grue”
·Examine the technology of ancient glass making
·Explore aspects of ancient art and sculpture
· "Meet” some ancient Egyptian letter-writers
Contents and Overview
This course takes the form of a symposium which presents a series of lectures given by world-renowned Egyptologists.
Dr Steven Snape - University of Liverpool
Professor Paul Nicholson - Cardiff University
Dr Campbell Price - Curator of Egypt and Sudan at the Manchester Museum
Dr Glenn Godenho - Lecturer in Egyptology at the Universities of Liverpool and Manchester
Each lecturer reflects on an aspect of the colour "blue" which has inspired them in their work. The different experts take very different approaches to their subject, yet together their work forms an expert guide to aspects of the art, archaeology, language and technology of the dynastic age. It forms a scholarly yet accessible introduction to the different, and very colourful, world of the pharaohs.
The course consists of five lectures plus additional information. It will take between four and five hours to complete. By the end of the course you will have acquired a valuable understanding and appreciation of Egypt’s dynastic age.
- There are no pre-requisites for this symposium.
- A good network connection is always recommended when viewing the videos as there is a HD version available
- Over 12 lectures and 2.5 hours of content!
- Understand the various "meanings" attached to the word "blue" in ancient Egypt.
- Appreciate the blue glass technologies used in dynastic Egypt.
- Examine specific blue artefacts from ancient Egypt.
- This course is suitable for anyone with an interest in ancient Egypt.
- Each lecture provides a different view on the colour blue. The lectures can be viewed in any order and additional reading materials are also included for further information.