Certificate Course for Rural Business Development ServicesEntrepreneurship Development Institute of India
With the Indian economy getting integrated with the global economy, it has become important for small scale enterprises to gear up their operations to explore, penetrate and develop new markets. With its distinct advantage of adaptability and flexibility, SSEs have great potential to generate employment opportunities and spur the growth of the economy.
In the rural context, SSE development has emerged as a major strategy to combat the problems of poverty and unemployment. Small enterprise development, a proven developmental initiative towards employment and income generation is being widely accepted and implemented by the voluntary sector. Their role has also been recognized in the latest plan documents of government as well.
Of late, the thrust of last two union budgets has also thrown open a challenge in terms of availability of well qualified and trained manpower required for providing business development services. With the impetus being provided to development of industrial clusters, micro-finance, RIP etc., EDI recognizes the need to further strengthen the capabilities of NGOs and RIP agencies so as to provide them with much needed professional support. Professional business development service providers would help organizations access both “transactions & strategic” related services.
EDI thus proposes to organize 8 week programme for preparing a cadre of development consultants titled “Certificate Course for Rural Business Development Service Providers / Consultants”
Through this programme, EDI would create a cadre of independent development consultants and equip them with skills that are critical to the functioning of NGOs and execution of income generation and economic development programmes. These consultants would in-turn provide necessary professional advice and support to various players in different ways i.e.
1. NGOs: in exploring sources of funds, pursuing income generation activities and rural industries development programmes more vigorously;
2. Funding agencies: in project monitoring, evaluation and impact assessment;
3. Budding entrepreneurs: in providing escort services and counselling for speedy implementation of their proposed business activities.
After completing this 8 week programme, the participants would become versatile counselors for executing diverse tasks. As majority of NGOs are generally not in a position to hire full time experts for managerial counselling and functions, these trained counsellors can also provide their services to NGOs on the management front.
The programme has the following objectives
* To promote the role of Business Development Services in the development of rural industries and rural clusters.
* To provide professional management support to NGOs for streamlining their operations and management
* To create a cadre of versatile development consultants for development of rural industries
* To enhance the capability of these development consultants so that they provide services to:
o NGOs in formulating project proposals and launching and managing projects for employment generation and poverty alleviation
o Donor Agencies for assessing capabilities of NGOs, appraising their proposals and carrying out project monitoring and evaluation
o Individual entrepreneurs in small business counselling.
Given the objectives of the programme, the content has been designed using modular approach as per details given below:
* General Management Functions in an NGO
* Basic Accounting, Financial Management and Costing
* Market Research, Marketing Management with special emphasis on Marketing of Rural and Cottage Industry products
* Social Engineering and Project Management including Project Formulation, Monitoring and Evaluation
* Communication, Drafting Skills, Negotiation and Networking
* Selection of Entrepreneurs
* Behavioural Traits of an Entrepreneurs and Achievement Motivation Training
* Business Opportunity Identification, Guidance and New Economic Environment (with focus on Environment friendly, innovative projects)
* Technology and its Upgradation, Designing and Packaging
* Business Counselling : Theory and Practice
* Project Report Preparation, Appraisal and Financial Projections
* Micro Credit and Micro Finance Development Schemes of Banks, SIDBI, NABARD, and KVIC
* Cluster Development Programme and Rural Industries Programme
* Rural Entrepreneurship Development Programme
* Formulation of Proposals for Funding Support and Action Plan
* Field visits
* Project work
* Computer Literacy /Training
To impart the inputs listed in the programme structure, the following training methodology will be adopted:
* Lecture-cum-discussion on concepts and practices of promoting/strengthening rural entrepreneurship.
* Case studies, group discussions, role-plays and simulation exercises for development of requisite competencies.
* Intensive interaction with experts in rural entrepreneurship development, curriculum development and opportunity guidance, entrepreneurs, behavioural scientists and entrepreneur trainer-motivators for gaining practical insight into rural entrepreneurship development efforts.
* Field visits to training/ industrial support institutions, small/micro enterprises and NGOs to view things in process / action. Practice sessions to acquire various skills.