The Coimbatore Medical School was started in 1914 in separate buildings in the present Govt. Arts College campus. As per the records in the Archives it was a square building with an open court yard in the centre, teak wood doors and panels, stone floors, brick and mortar walls, glazed stone ware sinks and iron trusses. It was built by the Public Works Department of which C O Bruien was the then Chief Engineer, at an estimated cost of Rs 5,77,8000. Nanja Boyan ,the head mason supplied bricks at six annas per hundred!!
In 1930 the medical school was shifted to Calicut, then part of Madras Presidency and the existing building became the History department of the Government Arts College. The present Medical College was started in 1966.