Craftsmanship Course in Food & Beverage ServiceInstitute of Hotel Management, Catering Technology and Applied Nutrition
Frequent Asked Questions
Eligibility: Successful completion of S.S.C. (10th class of 10+2 pattern) or equivalent qualification with English as one of the subject in the Final of the School Examinations. Age : Maximum up to 22 years as on 1st June of each year.
- Development of Catering Industry and brief description of different types of catering establishments.
- Catering as a career and job prospects in the Hotel Industry.
- Staff organisation of Food and Beverage Department.
- Attributes and Attitudes.
- Different types of cutlery used in a good catering establishments, their description and correct use.
- Different types of crockery used in good catering establishments, their description and correct use.
- Different types of glassware used in good catering establishments, their description and use.
- Different types of silver and flatware used for the service of food, their description and use.
- Different types of special equipment e.g. Nut cracker, grape scissors, service gear for the service of Oysters, Caviare, Lobster etc. Cigar cutter, wine bottle openers, Gueridon equipment etc, their description and use.
- Equipment layout, Side board.
- Different types of Menus - A la carte; Table - d'hote.
- Menu and meal planning.
- Various courses of a meal:
· Hors d'oeuvre
· Vegetable and Potato preparations
· Accompaniments and garnishes
· Dessert and Coffee.
- Rules for laying the table and side board and Mis-en-place.
- Rules for waiting at the table and some useful tips for good service.
- Different sections of kitchen and their staff organisation in brief.
- Silver polishing:
· Polivit method
· Plate powder method
· Burnishing method
· Silvo method
- Restaurant vocabulary - English and French.
- Relationship of waiter with:
- Simple methods of Restaurant controls.
- Breakfast - different types, laying and service. Breakfast menu items and their preparation.
- Banquets: Booking and banquet enquiry from: Seating space:
· Seating arrangements; Banquet menu - service formalities.
· Toast procedures.
- Buffet - layout - display - service.
- Room service - House Rules, Equipment, Butler Service.
- Snack Bar and Cafeteria.