Craftsmanship Course in Food Production & PatisserieInstitute of Hotel Management, Catering Technology and Applied Nutrition
Frequent Asked Questions
Eligibility: Successful completion of S.S.C. (10th class of 10+2 pattern) or equivalent qualification with English as one of the subject in the Final of the School Examinations. Age : Maximum up to 22 years as on 1st June of each year.
- Overview of the Catering Industry.
- Kitchen Organisational structure.
- Aims and Objects of Cooking - Definition.
- Classification of raw materials - functions.
- Preparation of Ingredients.
- Methods of mixing food, movements in mixing, weighing and measuring.
- Texture of food.
- Culinary terms.
- Methods of Cooking with special application to cereals (Rice, flours, millets etc.) meat, fish, vegetable, soup,cheese, pulses and egg cookery. Conventional and non-conventional methods of cooking, microwave cooking etc. Fast Food items.
- Leavening agents.
- Selection and identification of varieties of fish, cuts of meat, beef and pork and vegetables available in the local market.
· Meat preservation - elementary.
- Poultry and Game:
· Poultry: - Age, quality, market types, preparation, dressing and cuts with its uses:
· Game: - Furred game and feathered game, preparation and cuts with its uses;
· Poultry & Game: - Methods of cooking; boiling, poaching, grilling, roasting, frying with proper accompaniments.
- Accompaniments and Garnishes.
- Re-heating of food.
- Balancing of recipes, standardisation of recipes, maintaining recipe files, standard setting, sensory evaluation of recipes.
- Menu planning, principles and application.
- Portion control, standard portion sizes, necessity for control, brief study of how portions are worked out.
- Invalid Cookery.
- Kitchen Organisation.
- Quality Control: Purchasing specification, quality control methodology; prevailing food standards in India; food adulterants as a public health hazard; simple tests in the detection of common food adulterants; Essential Commodities Act - ISI Agmark.
- Recipes and quantities required to produce 10 ltrs. Stock - Chicken, white and brown.
- Description and uses of the following: Roux, blanc, Roux blond and Roux brun. Recipes and quantities required to produce 01 ltr. Of the following: Bachamel sauce, tomato sauce, veloute sauce, espagnole sauce and mayonnaise sauce with the necessary precautions to be observed while preparing these with minimum five derivatives of each.
- Soups: Definition, classification with examples in each group, composition, recipe for 01 ltr. Consommé; popular consommés with 10 garnishes, classical soups.
- Eggs: Structure, selection and quality of; various ways of cooking eggs with example in each method; preservation and storage.
- Farinaceous dishes: Types of recipes and methods of cooking with examples.
- Vegetables: Colour reaction of different types of vegetables to acid, alkali and metals, methods of cooking different vegetables with emphasis on cooking asparagus, artichokes, leek, brussels, sprouts.
- Pulses: Methods of cooking with time and temperature.
- Larder Work: Its functions and management.
- Larder control - Cleanliness of larder and control larder equipment and supplies.
- Hors d'oeuvre and salads: Description of various types of Hors d'oeuvre - Hors d'oeuvre varies, Hors d'oeuvre from singulier and Hors d'oeuvre chaud with example. Classification and description of various salads - simple or plain
salads - simple vegetable salads; compound salads - fruit based vegetable based, meat based and fish based compound salads with examples.
· Fish - Types, recognition, presentation, cleaning, preparation, basic cuts and
its use and storage.
· Slaughtering techniques - lamb, pork and beef.
· Butchery: Jointing of beef, lamb and mutton and pork, different cuts with its
uses and weighs, meat preservation - salting, smoking and freezing meat;
bacon, gammon and hams.
· Poultry and game - Preparation, dressing and cuts.
- Assembling of a cold buffet, sandwiches and canapés, use of left overs.
- Decorative work including butter sculpture, ice carvings and vegetable carvings.
· Still room - the function of still room, a knowledge of dessert fruits.
PRACTICAL includes Indian, Continental. Soups, Fish, Chicken and Meat, Entrees, Sweets and Chinese.