D.M. COURSE IN NEUROLOGYMAHARASHTRA UNIVERSITY OF HEALTH SCIENCES
Price on request
D.M. COURSE IN NEUROLOGY
Since the students are trained with the aim of practicing as independent Neurologist, this
course content will be merely a guideline. They have to manage all types of cases and
situations and seek and provide consultation. The emphasis shall therefore be more on the
practical management of the problem of the individual cases within the available
CONTENTS OF THE COURSE
(a) Basic and Applied Neurosciences.
Basic and correlative neuro-anatomy, basic and applied neuro-physiology, principles and
applied aspects of neurochemistry, pharmacology of drug interaction on the nervous
system, pharmacologic basis of therapeutics, immune mechanisms underlying
autoimmune disorders of nervous system and pathological basis of neurological
disorders, Basic principles and application of biostatistics.
(b) Investigative Neurology.
Principles and application of diagnostic procedures in the disciplines of
electrophysiology, imaging and neuropathology.
Principles, theoretical concepts and practice of clinical neurology, including emergency
neurology. The clinical profile diagnosis and management of paroxysmal disorders of
nervous system, cerebrovascular disorders, neuro-infections, congenital, genetic
demyelinating and degenerative disorders of central and peripheral nervous system,
neuromuscular disorders, neoplasms, metabolic disorders and traumatic injuries. Recent
advances in the field of clinical, applied and basic neuro-sciences.
Principles and practice of Neurosurgery.
SECTION -III :
Teaching / Learning Methods And Activities
Throughout the course of training the emphasis shall be on acquiring knowledge,
skill and attitudes through first hand experiences as far as possible.
The emphasis will be on self-tearing rather than on didactic lectures.
The entire period shall be' in service' training programme based on the concept
Of' learn as you work' principle.
The teaching learning activities would consist of -Participating in rounds - patient
1) Presentation of cases to the faculty with discussion
2) Preparation and presentation of P.G. lectures on allotted topics
3) Journal clubs
4) Cinico-pathological exercise by rotation.
However to reinforce the learning the following methods shall be used to acquire
knowledge, skills and attitudes.
1. Lectures prepared and presented by students under supervision.
2. Seminars, symposis, panel discussion of suitable topics, moderated by teachers.
3. Journal clubs moderated by teachers
4. Clinicopathogical conferences.
5. Medical audit/fatality case discussion .meetings.
6. Pedagogic training programmes (intramural & extramural)
7. Inter-departmental meetings/discussions of interesting cases
8. Preparation and presentation of a dissertation
9. Patient care work in OPD, wards and dialysis unit.