Diploma in Library and Information ScienceGuru Nanak Dev University
Price on request
The Guru Nanak Dev University's Faculty of Arts and Social Science offers Diploma in Library and Information Science course to its students. The course structure for it is as follows:
Reference service and Document Bibliography
Reference Service, Definition, need and purpose of reference, service, kinds of
reference service, Initiation of fresh readers. Reference and information sources:
definition, kinds and uses.
Document Bibliography : Definition need and purpose of document
bibliography, kinds of document bibliography (INB & BNB). Subject
bibliography, Trade bibliography.
Paper – II : Use of Information/Reference sources
List of Important Information Sources
1. New Encyclopedia Britannica
2. Encyclopedia Americana
3. Collier’s Encyclopedia
4. International Encyclopedia of Social Sciences
5. Encyclopedia of Religion and Ethics
6. McGraw Hill Encyclopedia of Science and Technology
7. Encyclopedia of Science & Technology
8. Encyclopedia of Library and Information Science.
9. Oxford English Dictionary
10. Webster’s Third New International Dictionary.
11. Raghuvira comprehensive English-Hindi Dictionary
12. English Punjabi Dictionary (Punjab State University Text Book
13. Cassel’s new French- English, English-French Dictionary
14. Webster’s Dictionary of Synonyms.
III. Biographical Sources
15. Chamber’s Biographical Dictionary
16. Webster’s Biographical Dictionary
17. International Who’s Who
18. India who’s Who
19. Dictionary of National Biography (Calcutta)
IV. Geographical Sources
20. Columbia Lippincott Gazetteer of the World
21. Gazetter of India
22. Foder’s Guide to India
23. Times Atlas of the World.
V. Year Books
24. Europe Year Book
25. Statesman’s Year Book
26. India-A Reference Annual
27. World of Learing
28. Common Wealth Universities Year Book
29. British National Bibliography
30. India National Bibliograpgy
31. Cumulative Book Index
32. Books in Print
33. Whitakar’s Books in Print
34. Indian Books in Print
35. Ulrich’s International Perodicals Directory
36. Guide to Indian Periodical Literature (Gurgaon)
37. Library Literature
38. Reader’s Guide to perodical Literature
39. Index India.
Paper III : Organisation of Library Materials
Should include 16 titles out of which the candidates be asked to classify any 8 titles
according to Colon Classification (6th rev. ed. )
Should include four titles to be catalogued according to Classified Catalogue Code
(5th ed). The Examiner should set four titles out of which the candidates be asked to catalogue fully two titles in all. Only simple titles should be given. Titles having complicated personal names & those having Comlexities in descriptive cataloguing should be excluded.