DM OncologyMaharastra University of Health science
Price on request
The following objectives are laid out to achieve the goals of the course. These objectives
are to be achieved by the time the candidate completes the course. The Objectives may
be considered under the subheadings
A. General Hematology and Oncology
1. Proper use and care of common instruments such as light microscope, centrifuge,
water baths, freezers etc.
2. Blood sample collection - venepuncture and finger prick methods of sample
collection, types of anticoagulants, containers and the effects of delay in processing
3. Review of normal and abnormal blood films with emphasis on morphology of red
cells, white cells and platelets.
4. Performance of bone marrow aspiration; trephine needle biopsy
5. Staining and diagnostic evaluation of bone marrow aspirates. Interpretation of
cytochemical stains including Sudan Black, Myleloperoxidase, specific and non
specific esterases, acid phosphatase, PAS and iron staining.
Familiarisation with cytogenetics, understanding the principles of cytogenetics and
appreciating the relevance and significance of chromosomes in diagnostic hematology
C. Transfusion Medicine
1. Donor evaluation & recruitment.
2. Clinical evaluation and screening of patients and donors for hematopoietic
stem cell transplantation.
3. Phlebotomy of donors.
4. Collection, cryopreservation and storage of hematopoietic stem cells.
D. Flow Cytometery
A working knowledge of the principle and practice of flowcytometery and
interpretation of the clinical significance of common leukocyte immunophenotypes.