Effective Communication and Personality Development through theatreDeen Dayal Upadhyaya College
Price on request
- New delhi
This course is inspired by and seeks to implement UNICEF and WHO's internationally recognized vision of life skills based education. Enhancement of life skills focuses on enabling individuals, not only to make a success of their careers, but also of their lives. It seeks to empower them to effectively meet the challenges of everyday life by balancing three areas: knowledge, attitude and skills. The course has been innovatively designed to instill confidence, integrity, excellence and artistic sensitivity into each of its students -- traits that are essential for success in any field. It will seek to hone skills such as:
1. Communication skills - both oral and written. Oral communication involves working on voice and enunciation, body language, public speaking and performances, debates, group discussions and facing interviews. Written communication means working on expository, dramatic, narrative and dramatic writing.
2. Leadership skills - through problem solving, critical thinking and decision making.
3. Creativity skills - ability to think creatively and act confidently through acting, improvisations, performances and scripting.
4. Teamwork and Interpersonal relationship skills - focusing on relationships with the self, friends, family and society.
5. Self-management and self-awareness building skills - through conflict management, negotiations and through the ability to manage both stress and time effectively. It has been widely felt in the institutions of higher learning that traditional ‘information' based approaches alone do not contribute to an individual's personality development. The ‘activity' based workshop approach is more likely to provide the spark that ignites the mind. Experience has shown that the imaginative expansion of a personality happens quickly in theatre based workshops. A positive change in attitude, rising level of confidence and energy, coupled with ability to manage both time and stress is noticed immediately. During the course, while a few lectures would be delivered to clarify the concepts, most of the teaching and learning would be through theatre workshops conducted by eminent theatre professionals associated with NSD. It is the only course of its kind on offer in any of the colleges of University of Delhi. The theoretical conceptualization of the course, and its customization is the intellectual property of the Department of English, Deen Dayal Upadhyaya College. The Department will closely monitor the quality and progress of the course.