Foundation Course in BioinformaticsJain Group of Institutions
Price on request
Foundation Course in Bioinformatics
Foundation courses are short term introduction courses offered in different departments and disciplines in Biotechnology. They aim at baptizing the student towards Biotechnology and providing them with the basic platform for more advanced research. The training modules compromise individual hands-on training and serve as an introductory exposure to learning highly advanced modules in future.
• Bioinformatics - History and development and future challenges. Basics of Linux operating system.
• The nucleotide sequence databases. Genome databases. Obtaining information from nucleotide and protein sequence databases. Other types of biological databases.
• Sequence comparison by alignment. Types of alignment - global and local. Scoring an alignment - substitution matrices and gap penalties. BLAST and its applications.
Software/Servers : Lalign, BLAST
• Multiple sequence alignment and Phylogenetic analysis.
Software/Servers : Clustal X, ,Phylip.
• Nucleotide sequence analysis - Gene prediction, primer design for PCR. Restriction digestion,
Software/Servers :EMBOSS, GENSCAN, ORFFinder, Primer3,NEBWebcutte.r
• Protein sequence analysis - studying physico-chemical characteristics, locating signal and transit peptides. Identifying motifs and domains.
Software/Servers : ExPaSy, PROSITE, Pfam,
• Introduction to protein structure - Protein structure databases.
Software/Servers : PDB, MMDB,CATH,SCOP.
• Visualizing protein structure data