Government Medical College, Jammu, a premier institute of J&K was started in the year, 1973 in a temporary building with the object to provide quality education and deliver the health care service to the people of this region. This institution is located in the heart of Temple City Jammu. This institution was started with the aim to train fifty medical students for MBBS course per year and to serve as referral hospital for Jammu Province. But now the seating capacity has been increased upto 120 students per year, Besides MBBS course the college also imparts Post-graduate training Course.
From the make shift sheds of years, with meager staff and equipments, to the present day mammoth complete with chain of adequately staff and fully equipped associated hospitals, this college is now credited to the amongst a few top institution in the Northern Indian.
The institution started with a total of nine hundred beds and with the inauguration of Medical College Hospital building in the year of 1993, it has now increased to 1700 beds including associated hospitals including Sir. Col. R.N.Chopra Nursing Home.
At present, Govt. Medical College, Jammu is catering to the patients from whole of Jammu province, part of Kashmir valley and adjoining areas of neighboring states of Punjab and Himachal Pradesh. Five Teaching Hospitals namely, Medical College Hospital, CD Hospital, SMGS Hospital, Psychiatry Hospital & Dental Hospital are associated with Medical College. There are 800 doctors in