Government Arts College, Coimbatore, had a very humble beginning when it was founded in 1852 as an Anglo-Vernacular School. It became a middle school in 1861. In 1867 it became a high school. In 1868, First of Arts ( F.A. ) classes were started and in 1869 the first University classes were started. In 1870 it became a second grade college. Thus, the college came into existence during the colonial rule long before the establishment of the University of Madras. The products of this college had actively participated in India’s freedom movement and thus, the classrooms of this ancient institution have determined the destiny of India in obtaining its freedom.