The Government College of Technology, Coimbatore formerly known as the Arthur Hope College of Technology, was started in July 1945 in accordance with the general policy of the then Government of Madras to give high priority to technical education under the post-war reconstruction schemes in order to meet the demand for trained engineers for various industrial and development projects in the State and the rest of India.
All the UG and PG courses are affiliated to the Anna University with effect from the acadamic year 2001 - 2002. Consequently, six new PG courses have been started in various disciplines, in addition to a self-supporting course in Biotechnology at the UG level. The college is recognised by the Anna University for doing Doctoral work in Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Electronics & Communication Engineering, Computer Science & Engineering and Applied Chemistry and Physics. Thus from a humble beginning, the College has grown into a premier institution for Engineering Education in this part of the Country. The College has now completed 62 fruitful years of service and the Golden Jubilee Celebrations were conducted during 1994-95.