Introduction to Draftingwww.mylaw.net
Frequent Asked Questions
Are you a: • Law student looking to acquire the basic drafting skills required for a career in law; • Practicing lawyer intent on enhancing your drafting skills; or • Somebody keen on developing a working understanding of legal drafting in commercial legal documentation?
What you'll learn on the course
Teachers and trainers (2)
An alumnus of NLSIU, Bangalore, Deepa was formerly a Senior Associate in the General Corporate and Insurance Team of Amarchang Mangaldas Suresh A. Shroff & Co. She led numerous transaction teams through the drafting, negotiating, and closing of various high profile M & A transactions. At Rainmaker, Deepa focuses on courses in the corporate commercial field and writes regularly on issues relating to Mergers & Acquisitions, Drafting and Reviewing Commercial Contracts and Insurance Law.
Tennille graduated from the University of Newcastle, Australia, in 2004 with a combined Arts/Law degree. She was admitted as a Solicitor of the Supreme Court of New South Wales, Australia, in 2005. She has a background in criminal defence advocacy and human rights policy work, and has served as a Lecturer of Law at the University of New South Wales in Sydney. Tennille joined Rainmaker in 2011. She trains in in skills-based areas such as legal writing and research.
P R O G R A M M E O U T L I N E
Unit 1: Understanding Drafting
• Get an introduction to the concept of legal drafting.
• Examine the kind of language that is appropriate to use in drafting tasks.
• Explore the process of legal drafting.
Unit 2: General Principles of Drafting
• Analyse the practical issues of style and format in setting up their documents.
• Identify the issues that need to be included in documents.
Unit 3: The Legal Framework for Contracts
• Understand the major provisions of the Indian Contract Act, 1872.
• Analyse how the Indian Contract Act, 1872 effects the structuring and provisions of contracts, and what elements need to be present to ensure that a contract is valid.
Unit 4: Structuring a Commercial Contract
• Examine the most effective manner in which to structure a commercial contract;
• Understand the kinds of things that need to be kept in mind while structuring contracts.
• Learn the rules that must be followed when drafting any contract
Unit 5: Identifying Issues and Negotiating Terms of a Contract
• Analyse different negotiation strategies and the importance of healthy negotiations, and how that helps the drafting process.
• Incorporate negotiation points into contractual documentation.
Unit 6: Drafting Notices
• Identify situations in which it is suitable to use a notice, as well as the tone and style of the document.
• Study the main elements of all legal notices.
Unit 7: Basic Rules for Drafting Pleadings
• Examine the fundamental aspects of constructing proper and effective pleadings.
• Study the function of pleadings, the different kinds of pleadings, and the basic rules for drafting them.
Unit 8: Reviewing and Editing Your Drafting
• Understand the final steps in every drafting process.
• Learn how to review and edit all legal documentation that in a professional and proper manner.