Introduction to Mergers and Acquisitions Lawwww.mylaw.net
What you'll learn on the course
Law and Commerce
Law for Business
Law and Business
Teachers and trainers (1)
An alumnus of NLSIU, Bangalore, Deepa was formerly a Senior Associate in the General Corporate and Insurance Team of Amarchang Mangaldas Suresh A. Shroff & Co. She led numerous transaction teams through the drafting, negotiating, and closing of various high profile M & A transactions. At Rainmaker, Deepa focuses on courses in the corporate commercial field and writes regularly on issues relating to Mergers & Acquisitions, Drafting and Reviewing Commercial Contracts and Insurance Law.
P R O G R A M M E O U T L I N E
Unit 1: Understanding Basic Concepts of Mergers and Acquisitions
• Learn what ‘mergers’ and ‘acquisitions’ are.
• Study the bodies governing M&A activity in India.
• Understand what typical ‘slump sale’, ‘asset sale’, ‘acquisition of shares’, and ‘de-merger’ transactions entail.
Unit 2: Understanding the Legal Framework Governing Mergers and De-Mergers
• Learn how mergers and de-mergers are treated under Company Law in India.
• Distinguish the differences and the business rationale for each form of business restructuring.
• Study the legal framework governing mergers and de-mergers.
Unit 3: Understanding the Procedure for Mergers and De-Mergers
• Study in detail the procedure for mergers and de-mergers and identify the corporate actions to be taken by any company to implement them.
• Identify the taxation benefits available to mergers or de-mergers under the Income Tax Act, 1961.
Unit 4: Understanding Acquisitions: Acquisition of Securities
• Learn more about what an ‘acquisition’ entails and how to carry out an acquisition of shares.
• Examine the legal framework governing transfer of shares and fresh issue of shares, including a rights issue and a preferential issue of shares.
Unit 5: Understanding Acquisition of Assets: Slump Sale
• Learn more about ‘slump sale’ as a mode of acquisition of assets and liabilities.
• Examine the different components of a ‘slump sale’ and legal framework for implementing the same.
Unit 6: Understanding Acquisition of Assets: Asset Sale
• Learn about the meaning of the term ‘asset sale’, as a mode of acquisition of assets.
• Understand the difference between an ‘asset sale’ and a ‘slump sale’.
• Examine the different components of an ‘asset sale’ and legal framework for implementing the same.
Unit 7: Examining Foreign Exchange Regulatory Laws-I
• Understand the role of foreign exchange laws in mergers and acquisition transactions.
• Learn more about key foreign exchange legislation, including the Foreign Exchange Management Act, 1999 and the Consolidated FDI Policy.
• Examine the role of regulators in foreign exchange transactions.
Unit 8: Examining Foreign Exchange Regulatory Laws-II
• Examine specific legislations governing foreign direct investment in mergers and acquisitions.
• Understand procedural and reporting requirements in relation to foreign exchange laws.
• Study various aspects of foreign exchange laws including valuation and pricing issues.
Unit 9: Understanding Overseas Direct Investment
• Analyse the legal framework for investment by an Indian resident outside India.
• Examine specific legislation governing mergers and acquisitions overseas.
Unit 10: Understanding the Provisions of the Companies Act, 2013
• Examine the Companies Act, 2013 and its impact on M&A transactions.
• Study all the changes brought about by the new Companies Act, 2013, including provisions of fast-track mergers and acquisition of minority interests.