Introduction to Petroleum Engineering - Tomsk Polytechnic UniversityIversity
What you'll learn on the course
Oil and Gas
In this course, you will learn such concepts as oil and gas production, reservoir energy and forces, petroleum deposit drainage, development systems, well operation techniques and much more. Each participant in the course will develop an understanding of field life cycle and interdisciplinary approach to petroleum field development and operation.
Throughout the course, we will address the following topical areas:
• History of oil and gas application, international petroleum reserves
• Fundamentals of Petroleum Geology: rock cycle; oil, gas and water deposits; oil and gas composition; oil generation; prospecting for oil and gas fields
• Major exploration techniques, seismic methods, well testing; basics of reservoir engineering and modelling
• Basics of well drilling and production
What will I learn in this course?
By the end of the course, students will be able to:
• Analyse and apply theoretical knowledge in the area of petroleum geology, reservoir engineering and production technology.
• Describe major exploration and production techniques and processes.
• Distinguish between major enhanced oil and gas recovery techniques.
• Understand application areas of petrochemical products.
• Analyse global situation in the petroleum industry and its influence of people’s daily lives.
Who should participate in this course?
Anyone who is interested in learning more about the petroleum industry is welcome to join this introductory course. More specific groups include:
• High school students planning a career, and their parents
• Graduates holding BSc or Engineering degrees looking for further training options
• Petroleum company employees with a non-petroleum educational background who are not involved directly in field exploration and development (finance, marketing, management, HR, etc.) but require general understanding of petroleum industry.
What do I need to know?
No prior knowledge or specific skills are necessary for joining this course. Just bring your curiosity, attention and will. From our side, we tried our best to make the course as interesting and visually compelling as possible, and put together many exciting activities for you.
Week 1: Introduction: Petroleum in Our Life
Week 2: Petroleum Geology
Week 3: Exploration Geophysics. Well Logging. Well Testing
Week 4: Reservoir Engineering
Week 5: Drilling
Week 6: Production Technology
Week 7: Enhanced Recovery Techniques