M D (Doctor of Medicine) : Community MedicineALL INDIA INSTITUTE OF MEDICAL SCIENCES
Price on request
- New delhi
Goal of teaching and training of postgraduates in Community Medicine is directed towards achievement
of the goal of “Health for All”. Aim of postgraduate training is to prepare the students to be –
– Researchers & Epidemiologists
– Health Planners, Organizers and Administrators
– Workers in the Community
– Other service Personnel in this specialty
I. CONCEPTS IN HEALTH
1. Definition of health; appreciation of health as a relative concept; determinants of health.
2. Characteristics of agent, host and environmental factors in health and disease and the multifactorial
etiology of disease.
3. Understanding of various levels of prevention with appropriate examples.
4. Indices used in measurement of health.
5. Health situation in India : demography, mortality and morbidity profile and the existing health
facilities in health services.
6. Difficulties in measurement of health.
7. National Health Policy
1. Use of epidemiological tools to make a community diagnosis of the health situation in order to
formulate appropriate intervention measures.
2. Epidemiology : definition, concept and role in health and disease.
3. Definition of the terms used in describing disease transmission and control.
4. Natural history of a disease and its application in planning intervention.
5. Modes of transmission and measures for prevention and control of communicable and noncommunicable
6. Principal sources of epidemiological data.
7. Definition, calculation and interpretation of the measures of frequency of diseases and mortality.
8. Common sampling techniques, simple statistical methods for the analysis, interpretation and
presentation of data frequency distribution, measures of central tendency, measures of variability,
statistical tests of significance and their application.
Course and Curriculum of M D Community Medicine 51
9. Need and uses of screening tests.
10. Accuracy and clinical value of diagnostic and screening tests