M.D.S.:P AEDODONTICS & P REVENTIVE DENTISTRYMAHARASHTRA UNIVERSITY OF HEALTH SCIENCES
Price on request
M.D.S.:P AEDODONTICS & P REVENTIVE DENTISTRY
1. Applied Anatomy
2. Applied Physiology
3. Applied Pathology
4. Nutrition and Dietics
5. Growth & Development : Prenatal and Postnatal development of cranium, face, jaws, teeth and
supporting structures. Chronology of dental development and development of occlusion. Dimensional
changes in dental arches. Cephalometric I; evaluation of growth.
6. Child Psychology : Development & Classification of behavior, personality, intelligence in children,
theories child psychology, stages of psychological child development, fear anxiety, apprehension & its
Page 1 of 7
7. Behavior Management : Non - pharmacological & Pharmacological methods.
8. Child Abuse & Dental Neglect
9. Conscious Sedation, Deep Sedation & General Anaesthesia in Paediatric Dentistry : (Including Other
Drugs, Synergic & Antagonistic Actions of Various Drugs Used In children
10. Preventive Pedodontics : Concepts, chair side preventive measures for dental disease, high risk
caries including rampant & extensive caries - Recognition, Features & Preventive Management, Pit
and Fissures Sealants, Oral Hygiene measures, Correlation of brushing with dental caries and
periodontal diseases. Diet & Nutrition as related to dental caries. Diet Counseling.
11. Dental Plaque : Definition, Initiation, Pathogenesis, Biochemistry, and Morphology & Metabolism.
12. Microbiology & Immunology as related to Oral Diseases in Children : Basic concepts, immune system
in human body, Auto Immune diseases, Histopathology, Pathogenesis, Immunology of dental caries,
Periodontal diseases, Tumors, Oral Mucosal lesions etc.
13. Gingival & Periodontal diseases in Children:
Normal Gingjval & Periodontium in children
Gingival & Periodontal diseases - Etiology, Pathogenesis, Prevention & Management
14. Pediatric Operative Dentistry
Principle Of Operative Dentistry along with modifications of materials/past, current & latest
including tooth colored materials.
Modifications required for cavity preparation in primary and young permanent teeth
Various Isolation Techniques
Restorations of decayed primary, young permanent and permanent teeth in children using
various restorative material like Glass lonomer, Composites, Silver, Amalgam & latest
Stainless steel, Polycarbonate & Resin Crowns / Veneers & Crowns
15. Pediatric Endodontics:
a. Primary Dentition: -Diagnosis of pulpal diseases and their management - Pulp capping,
Pulpotomy, Pulpectomy (Materials & Methods), Controversies & recent concepts.
b. Young permanent teeth and permanent teeth, Pulp capping, Pulpotomy, Apexogenesis,
Apexification, Concepts, Techniques and Materials used for different procedures.
c. Recent advances in Pediatric Endodontics.
16. Traumatic Injuries in Children:
Classifications & Importance
Sequalae & reaction of teeth to trauma
Management of Traumatized teeth with latest concepts
17. Interceptive Orthodontics :
a. Concepts of occlusion and esthetics : Structure and function of all anatomic components of
occlusion, mechanics of articulations, recording of masticatory function diagnosis of Occlusal
dysfunction, relationship of TMJ anatomy and pathology and related neuromuscular
b. A comprehensive review of the local and systemic factors in the causation of malocclusion.
Page 2 of 7
c. Recognition and management of normal and abnormal developmental occlusions in primary,
mixed and permanent dentitions in children (Occlusal Guidance)
d. Biology of tooth movement : A comprehensive review of the principles of teeth movement.
Review of contemporary literature. Histopathology of bone and Periodontal ligament,
Molecular and ultra cellular consideration in tooth movement.
e. Myofunctional appliances: Basic principles, contemporary appliances : Design & Fabrication
f. Removable appliances : Basic principles, contemporary appliances : Design & Fabrication
g. Case selection & diagnosis in interceptive Orthodontics (Cephalometrics, Image processing,
Tracing, Radiation hygiene, Video imaging & advance Cephalometric techniques)
h. Space Management : Etiology, Diagnosis of space problems, analysis, Biomechanics,
18. Oral Habits in Children:
Definition, Etiology & Classification
Clinical features of digit sucking, tongue thrusting, mouth breathing & various other secondary
Management of oral habits in children
19. Dental care of Children with special needs:
-Definition Etiology, Classification, Behavioral, Clinical features & Management of children with :
Physically handicapping conditions
Mentally compromising conditions
Medically compromising conditions'
20. Oral manifestations of Systemic Conditions in Children & their Management
21. Management of Minor Oral Surgical Procedures in Children
22. Dental Radiology as related to Pediatric Dentistry
Definition, Aeitology & Pathogenesis
Caries pattern in primary, young permanent and permanent teeth in children
Rampant caries, early childhood caries and extensive caries. Definition, aeitology,
Pathogenesis, Clinical features, Complications & Management
Role of diet and nutrition in Dental Caries
Dietary modifications & Diet counseling
Caries Activity tests, Caries prediction, Caries susceptibility & their clinical Applications
24. Pediatric Oral Medicine & Clinical Pathology : Recognition & Management of developmental dental
anomalies, teething disorders, stomatological conditions, mucosal lesions, viral infections etc.
25. Congenital Abnormalities in Children : Definition, Classification, Clinical features & Management.
26. Dental Emergencies in Children and their Management.
27. Dental Materials used in Pediatric Dentistry.
28. Preventive Dentistry :
Page 3 of 7
Principles & Scope
Types of prevention
Different preventive measures used in Pediatric Dentistry including fissure sealants and
29. Dental Health Education & School Dental Health Programmes
30. Dental health concepts, Effects of civilization and environment, Dental Health delivery system, Public
Health measures related to children along with principles of Pediatric Preventive Dentistry
Systemic & Topical fluorides
Mechanism of action
Toxicity & Management.
32. Case History Recording outline of principles of examination, diagnosis & treatment planning.
33. Epidemiology : Concepts, Methods of recording & evaluation of various oral diseases. Various
national & global trends of epidemiology of oral diseases.
34. Comprehensive Infant Oral Health Care
35. Principles of Bio-Statistics & Research Methodology & Understanding of Computers and Photography
36. Setting up of Pedodontic & Preventive Dentistry Clinic.
(Duration -first 6 Months of First Year MDS)
(One On Each Exercise)
1. Carving of all deciduous teeth
2. Basic wire bending exercises
3. Fabrication of
a. Maxillary bite plate / Hawley's
b. Maxillary expansion screw appliance
c. Canine retractor appliance
d. All habit breaking appliances
I. Removable type
II. Fixed type
III. Partially fixed anq removable
e. Two Myofunctional appliance
f. Making of inclined plane appliance
g. Acrylic inclined plane
4. Basic soldering exercise I -making of a lamppost of stainless steel wire pieces of different gauges
soldered on either sid~ of heavy gauge main post.
5. Fabrication of space maintainers
a. Removable type -
Unilateral Non -Functional space maintainer
Bilateral Non-Functional space maintainer
Page 4 of 7
Bilateral functional space maintainer
b. Space Regainers -
Hawley's appliances with Helical space regainer
Removable appliance with Slingshot space regainer
Removable appliance with Dumbell space regainer
c. Fixed Space maintainers
Band & long loop space maintainer
Band & short loop space maintainer
Mayne's space maintainer
Transpalatal arch space maintainer
Nance Palatal holding arch
Nance Palatal holding arch with canine stoppers
Gerber space regainer
Distal shoe appliance
d. Active space maintainers
e. For guiding the eruption of first permanent molar
f. Arch holding device
g. Functional space maintainer
6. Basics for spot welding exercise
7. Collection of extracted deciduous and permanent teeth
a. Sectioning of the teeth at various levels and planes
b. Drawing of section and shapes of pulp
c. Performing ideal cavity preparation for various restorative materials for both Deciduous and
d. Performing pulpotomy, root canal treatment and Apexification procedure.
e. Tooth preparation and fabrication of various lemporary and permanent restorations on
fractured anterior teeth.
f. Preparation of teeth for stainless steel crowns
8. Performing of behavioral rating and IQ tests for children.
9. Computation of :
a. Caries index and performing various caries activity test.
b. Oral Hygiene Index
c. Periodontal lndex
10. a. Taking of periapical, occlusal, bitewing radiographs of children
b. Developing and processing of films, thus obtained
c. Tracing of soft tissue dental and skeletal landmark is as observed on Cephalometric
radiographs and drawing of various planes and angles.
11. Library assignment