M.A HindiHindu College
Price on request
- New delhi
The Hindu College is recognized as one of the premier academic institutions in the country. It stands tall in public esteem and also in the memories of its alumni, many of whom are now prominent figures in government, business and industry, the media and education. Notwithstanding its name, students from all religions have grown up here and excelled in the chosen areas of their interests, be it academics, sports, or extra-curricular activities. However, the college was not built in a day.
The Hindu College was founded more than a century ago in 1899, by Late Shri Krishan Dassji Gurwale. In the backdrop of the nationalist struggle against the British rule, some prominent citizens including Shri Gurwaleji of Delhi, decided to start a college that would, while being non-elitist and non-sectarian, provide nationalist education to the youth of Delhi.
Originally, the College was housed in a humble building in Kinari Bazar, Chandni Chowk, and it was affiliated to the Punjab University as there was no Delhi University at that time. As the college grew, it faced a major crisis in 1902 due to inadequate infrastructure. But fortunately at this point Rai Bahadur Sultan Singh generously donated a part of his historic property (which originally belonged to Col. Skinner) at Kashmere Gate, to the College thereby enabling it to function there till 1953 when it moved to its present location in the Delhi University.
Spread over 25 acres of land, the College premises are housed in one of the prime locations of the North Campus of the University of Delhi, and it is well connected by road and the Delhi Metro. The college campus is well known for its well-maintained gardens and lovely trees, a vast sports ground, and a men's hostel which can accomodate nearly 200 students. It also has one of the finest auditoria in Delhi, a state-of-the-art seminar room, and last but not the least, its very own canteen where the eatables can get as sumptuous as the discussions.