M.A in LinguisticsRani Durgavati University
Price on request
Unit - I Linguistics: 1. Linguistics, its Definition, Branches of Linguistics
2. Synchronic, Diachronic, and Historical Linguistics .
3. Language Varieties,, Dialect, Idiolect , Dialect, Boundaries' Diglossia,
Standard Language, Pidgin and Creole.
4. Language Varieties, Register and Style, Language Variation and
Sociolinguistics, Language change.
5. Competence and Performance.
6. Theories of Language Acquisition
7. Linguistic Fallacies.
Unit -II Phonetics:
1. Organs of Speech , The Speech Mechanism
2. Classification and Description of Speech Sounds,
Consonants and Vowels.
3. The International Phonetic Alphabet,The Phoneme, The Allophones,
4. Phoneme Theory & Syllable Theory
5. Transcriptions – Phonetic & Phonemic
6. Stress and Intonation, Word accent, the Rules of stress
8. Strong and Weak Forms, Accent and Rhythm in Connected speech
9. Differences between R.P & G.I.E
Unit - III . Stylistics:
1. Nature and Scope , Collocation. Pragmatics, Presupposition , Implicature,
Metaphor, Felicity, Condition, Implicature in Literature.
2. The Irrational in Poetry , Oxymoron , Paradox , Ambiguity, Pun, Syllopsis,
Jingle as pun, Deviation, The Grind and Tenor of Metophor, Analyzing
3. Deviation, Foregrounding and Parallelism, Inversion ,Verbal Repetition
(Stylistic Analysis of a poem, Two to be set and one to be attempted.)
Unit - IV Transformational Grammar:
Affix switch , Negativization, Passivisation, Interrogative and Imperative
Unit -V Grammar:
1. I.C Analysis
2. Sentence patterns
5. Determiners, Word Classes, Noun Phrase, Verbal Group, Verb
Phrase, Verb Patterns , Finite and Non – Finite forms, Minimal
And Non-minimal Pairs; Article Features.