M.Phil in BotanyAligarh Muslim University
Price on request
The teaching of Botany was started in 1906 as a part of the curriculum of the Department of Biology at the Anglo-Oriental College. The intermediate standard in Biology was granted in 1911. Sahebzada Saeeduz Zafar Khan (Formerly Principal, King George Medical College, Lucknow) was the first Chairman of the Department of Biology. The Department imparted teaching up to the intermediate level only and also prepared students for the entrance tests of the Medical College of Calcutta, Lucknow and Agra.
After the inception of the University, the Departments of Botany and Zoology were established as independent units in 1923 and Prof. S. Hadi Hasan B.A. Hons (Contab), B. Sc. Ph.D., Reader took over as the first Chairman of the Department of Botany. The Department started Post-graduate teaching programme in 1930. First batch of M. Sc. students passed out in 1932. There were only three students. This time grant of the Department was Rs. 650 only.
Specialization at M. Sc final level was introduced in Plant Pathology in 1948, in Embryology in 1950 and in Plant Anatomy and Plant Physiology in 1978. Subsequently Cytogenetics and Plant Breeding was added in 1992, Environmental Botany in 1998 and Plant Biotechnology in 2004.
At present, 11 Professors, 9 Readers and 6 Lecturers are working in the Department and 7 Readers in Women?s College with 30 supporting staff. Courses offering are B. Sc., M. Sc. and Ph.D. In addition, Advanced Diploma (Post M.Sc) in Plant Tissue Culture and Micropropagation is to be introduced from 2009. A number of thrust areas is a part of the research these includes Plant Nematology, Plant Mycology, Plant Virology, Plant Ecology and Biodiversity, Growth and Development, Stress Physiology, Taxonomy and Ethanobotany, Environmental Botany, Plant Anatomy, Soil Chemistry, Microbiology, Plant Biotechnology and Cytogenetcis and Plant Breeding. In all in the year 2008, 87 research scholars, 70 post graduate students, 120 undergraduate student of Botany main and about 540 of undergraduate student of Botany subsidiary are attending the Department. Research Projects of more than 2 crores have been completed and of about 1.8 crores are in progress. In addition, Rs. 68.00 lacks have been received for Advanced Diploma (Post M. Sc.). This Department has produced 266 Ph.D., 180 M Phill and more than 3500 research paper in the national and international journals and about 30 Books on different aspects of Botany have been published so far.
A Seminar Library exists containing 11,400 books and 23 journals and facility to web access. A computer lab with facility of 6 computers along with networking is available to Teachers, Research scholars and postgraduate students. Molecular Biology Lab established with the funding of DST, New Delhi in FIST programme is available for research scholars. One central Apparatus Lab is also available. The Department also has a ninety five (95) acres land area in the form of fort where research field and Botanical Park are maintained.