M. Phil. Course in LawHemchandracharya North Gujarat University
Price on request
M. Phil. Course in Law
Paper : I Legal Philosophy and Legal Intuition
1. Approaches and thoughts to LAW :
U.S.A., Britain and Indian Legal Philosophy.
Legal Values in modern democracy
Fastest and National society legal thoughts.
English, American and continental approaches to law legal realism.
2. Theories of Law and Justice :
Theories of Justice (John Rawls, stammler, Kelsen,Itart)
Concept of Justice in Indian perception.
Sociological Aspect in India :
_ Sociological overtones.
_ Gandhian and other alternatives.
_ Opposition to Judicial Law -making, committed Judge.
_ Emerging social Legal realities
_ Independence of Judiciary
_ Social - Economics issues and U.S. supreme court.
_ Sociological Jurisprudence in India - Movment begin with Krishna Iyer, Bhagwati-Desai Reddy's dimensional approaches toward.
Poverty - P.I.L Legal Aid.
_ Dalit - Rationale
_ Gender - Women protection - New Constitution Justice - Judicial Trend.
_ Environmental - Judicial Eco. Ordering.
_ Consumer - Judicial Innovations.
3. Constitutional Challenges :
Impacts of liberalization and privatization on apex count's decisions since 1991 on fundamental Rights.
Nature of freedoms and Rights are going to change.
Importance of Fundamental duties & directive Principles.
Emerging problems in constitution of India :
_ Commercialization of education.
_ Misuse of P. I. L.
_ Controversy between legislature and Judiciary.
_ Compensation to victims.
_ Concept of secularism.
_ Judicial activism
_ Judicial Independence
_ Reservation policy.
4. Inter-ration ship between social change - and-Law :
Law and Social values Law and culture.
Law as a tool of social change
Problems and needs of modernization.
Impacts of modernization on legal reform.
Issues of women and children in modern India and resolving machineries in Indian Legal system.
Causes and needs for alternation dispute resolving systems in India.
Unjust and Un effective Law resulted Marxist, Naxalite movments need to be required appropriate legal set-up to contry anti social movement.
Social disturbing problems:
_ Family - Matrimonial problems.
_ Industrialization in agriculture
_ Over pending cases before civil- criminal - trial courts.
Recommended Reading (Books)
1. Jull us stone : (1) Legal system and lawyers reasoning.
(2) Social Dimensions of Law and Justice
2. Fridman : Legal Theory (Chapters :1,2,3,4,15,16,17,18, 19,20,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,33)
3. Fridman : Law in a changing society.
4. Rescop Pound : An Introduction to Philosophy of Law.
5. Bodenhimer : Jurisprudence (Chapter:4,5,6,7,10,11,12,13 &14)
6. Marc Galanter : Law and society in Modern India (1997) oxford Press.
7. U.Baxi : The cvisis of the Indian Legal system (1982) New Delhi.
8. I.L.I. : Law and social change (1988) Tripathi
9. M.P.Jain : Outlines of Indian Legal History (1993) Tripathi, Bombay.
10. D.D. Basu : Shorter constitution of India (1996) New Delhi.
Paper : II Advance Research Methodology
1. Research Methods versus Methodology.
Typology of research - Basic, Applied action, Survey - Inter relationship and contradictions among each, Inter - relationship and distinction between social- legal , Eco - legal research- evaluate the nexus of methodology and research conducted.
2. Research Design - Features -Importance
Different research Designs - experimental Design,- Developing research Plan.
Methods of Data collection
Merits -demerits of each method of data collection
Set the parameters for appropriate type of research
Processing and analysis of data, Testing of Hypothesis (parametric or nonparametric tests) Presentation of data (tabulation Diagrammatic)
1. Measurements and scaling Techniques - criteria of good measurement.
Use of statistical Techniques
Interpretation Report Writing techniques and precaution in Interpretation, significance of reporting, different stage and layout of research report (thesis) - type of research Report, the synopsis and thesis - comparisons - functions parts & evaluation of each.
2. Use of Law library :
Evaluate possibility and repugnancy in combined application of doctrinal and non- doctrinal research methods in same research work.
Importance of legislative materials, decision materials and use of those in development of legal reasoning
Recommended Readings : (Books)
1. Allen, T. Harrell New Methods in social science research, Praeger Publishers, 1918.
2. Bailey, Kenneth D Methods & social Research, 1978
3. Freedman P The principles of scientific research. 2nd edition Pergaqman Press. 1960.
4. Ghosh B. N. Scientific Methods and social Research New Delhi, sterling Pub. Pvt. Ltd. 1982.
5. Goode and Hatt Methods in social research New York Macgraw-Hill,1952
6. Gopal M. H. Research reporting in social sciences, Dherwar, Karnataka Uni, 1965 Piaget, Jean, Main Trends in Interdisciplinary
research, London, George Allen and Unwin Ltd.,1973
8. Sadhu A.N. and Singh, Amarjit, : Research Methodology in social ,science Bombay, Himalaya Publishing House,1980
9. Seboyer G. E. Mannual for report and Thesis writing, New yourk, F. C Crofts. & Co. 1929.
10. Tandon B.. Research Methodology in social Science, Allahabad, Chaitanya Publishing House,1979.
11. Bhandarkar P.L. Methodology and Techniques of social Research, Bombay Himalaya Publishing House, 1979
12. Young Pauline V. Scientific social surveys and Research 3rd ed,New York, 1960
13. M. O. Prince, H. Bitner and Bysiewiez; Effective Legal Research,1978.
14. Erwin C. Surrency B, A Guide to Legal Research, 1959
15. Moms L. Cohan, Legal Research in Natshell(1996) West Publishing Co.
16. I.L.I. Publication, Legal Research Methodology.
Paper : III Criminal Laws & Adm. Of Justice in criminal Law (Optional-1)
(1) Issues - Problems of Investigation and Proceeding -
Values of scientific & Non-Scientific evidance ments and scope appeal in criminal law
Evaluation of needs of plea Bargaining
Use of Logic in criminal trial procedure.
(2) Issues - Problems in Juvenile Justice in Indian Laws.
Evaluation and property of causes and mesures for regulation Juvenile Delinquency.
Status of Juvenile Delinquency in Indian Society
(3) Issues - Problems in Administration of criminal Justice
Objectives of Punishment
Property of (imprisonment) Jail punishment in modern society
success or Failure in regulating or controlling crimes in society though punishment.
Analytical study of causes of various violence in society - Arranged or sponsored violence : target groups.
(4) Examine various causes for official deviances and Analytical Examination of legal relations to ..... privileged classer's
Exaffectivencess of Legal measure
status of deviance of privileged classes.
(5) Effectiveness of Legal Regulations of trafficking and uses of Drugs and Narcotics substances
Evaluation of Role of social Institutions in combating Drug Addiction.
Recommended Readings :(Books)
1. K. N. C. Pillai : Outlines of Criminal Procedure(2000)Estern Book.
2. Sarkar : Law of Evidance
3. Maynon Weiner : The Child and state in India (1990)
4. K. S. Shukla : Adolescent offenders (1985)
5. S. Chhahbra : The Quantum of Punishment in Criminal Law(1970)
6. H. L. A. Hart : Punishment and Reponsibillity (1968)
7. Herbert Packer : The limits of Criminal Sanction (1975)
8. K. S. Shukla : Social of Deviant Behavior (1986)
9. N. V. Pranjpe : Criminology (LB)
10. A. Siddique : Criminology Eastern (LB)
11. U. Baxi : Dissent Development and Violence.
12. A. R. Desai : Violation of Democratic Rights in India (1986)
13. U. Baxi : The crisis of Democratic Rights in India (1986)
14. J. A.Incard : The Nature and dimensions of Privileged class Deviance
15. J. A. Incard : Drugs and Criminal Justice system.
16. P. K. And Y. N. Murthy Drug abuse and crime (1979)
17. H. S. Becker : The studies in Sociology of Deviance (1966)
Paper : III Business & Corporate Laws (Optional-2)
(1) Role of Banking Services in Business word.
New problems between Bank and customer
Status of co-operative Banks and conform of R.B.I.on Co-op Bank.
Propriety of Section - 138 of Negosiable Instruments Act. and impacts of litigations under this section on society.
New problems and litigation reputed from credit card smart card & A.T.M. serious.
Needs & requirements of Insurance in Modern times.
Problems in settlement of Insurance in Modern times.
Importance of Hit and away. and ‘No fault' theories in and motor accidents
Importance of Mediclaim & Fire Insurance.
(2) Issues - Legal complications in corporate fund raising especially equity financial
Role of financial Institutions in corporate fund raising foreign Investments
Issues - importance of dematerialization of securities.
Role of SEBI and RBI in corporate fund Raising.
(3) Issues- Problems and needs of Intellectual property Rights
Importance of Patent, Trade- MArk, Copy Right Traditional Knowledge and biodiversity
Impacts of Trips
(4) Impacts of Economics policies on Indian economics Law.
Problems of Tack - Over or Winding-up of Industrial unit.
Industrial Zones and its problems
Legal regulation of multi nationals.
(5) Issues- Problems in Foreign Trade in India
W. T. O. ‘s agreements relating to foreign Trade.
Achievements of foreign Trade policy - 2004-09.
Recommended Readings : (Books)
1. Basu A Review of Current Banking Theory and Practice (1998)
2. L. C. Goyle The Law of Banking and Bankers (1995) Eastern
3. M. L. Jannan Banking Law & Practice in India (2006) India Law house
4. K. C. Shekhar Banking Theory & Practice (1998) UBS. New Delhi.
5. P. N. Varsncy Banking Theory. Law & Practice.
6. Banerjee Law of Insurance (1994) Asia Law House.
7. Birds Modern Insurance Law.
8. Ramaiya A Guide to the company Law.
9. S. C. Kushhal Corporate Finance Principles and Problems
10. G. K. Kapoor and A. M. Majmudar Gompany Law & Practice
11. W. R. Cornish Intellectual Property Law (1999)
12. B. L. Wadehru Law relating to Patents Trade- Marks, Copy- right (2000) U.L. P.
13. P. Narayanan Intellectual Property Law, (1999) E.L.H.
14. Government of India Publication : Economics Polices (2004)
15. Industries (D & R)Act - 1951
16. Industrial and Economics Survey of central Govt. of India (2001)
17. Government of India Hand Book of Import - Export procedures (2005)
18. Government of India Foreign Trade Police -2004- 20098 (2007)
19. Bhagirath Laldas an Introduction to the W.I.O. Agreements.
20. Gupta K. R. Word Trade organization.
Paper :IV Dissertation
* Note :
(1) Choose the topic from the subjects of group of LL.M which the student passed.
(2) Following points should be covered in dissertation strictly
Social, Eco- Legal Importance and Utility of the topic
selected for dissertation.
Followed the stage of Research Methodology while
arranging topics and sub-topic of the selected subject :
Substantive topic should be discussed in dissertation in
following aspects :
(A) Analytical philosophy or
(B) Comparative philosophy
(C) Evaluative philosophy or
(D) Examination of Issues or
Problems in Implementation aspects.
While concluding the dissertation last topic must be on
Conclusion & suggestions or
Finding & Suggestion or
Observations and Incase of short fall loop- holes state the reasons or factors for them and suggestions in forms of remedial measures
New problems and litigation reputed from credit card & A.T.M. serious.