M.Phil in PhysicsAligarh Muslim University
Price on request
The Physics Department of the Aligarh Muslim University is one of the oldest Departments in North India established in 1908 and has a long tradition of quality teaching and research of high order- the first Ph.D. was awarded in 1926. A research Laboratory in Atomic and Molecular Spectroscopy was established during 1930s. The U.G.C. selected this Department for the 'Departmental Research Support' in the year 1976. Nuclear Physics and Solid State Spectroscopy were identified as the fields of major support. In 1983, the Department was granted the status of D.S.A. by U.G.C. The same areas of research as those identified in DRS were again chosen for support except Solid State Spectroscopy, which was replaced by Laser Raman Spectroscopy. However, Speech Research Group was also recognized as a minor group. It may be emphasized that a special mention was made on the research activities of the Theoretical Nuclear Physics Group in the report of the visiting committee. On the recognition of overall progress, the Department was granted infra-structural support-under COSIST programme of U.G.C. in the year 1987. This Department was also graced with the sanction of DSA Phase II and DSA Phase III in 1992 and 1998 respectively. Recently, the Department of Science and Technology (DST) has chosen this Department to aid under FIST programme.
The department offers various specialization in M.Sc. course. These specializations are Condensed Matter Physics, Electronics, Spectroscopy and Laser Physics, Nuclear Physics, High Energy Physics and Astrophysics.
Current research fields in the Department:
1. Theoretical Nuclear & Particle Physics
3. Experimental High Energy Physics
4. Experimental Nuclear Physics
5. Atomic, Molecular and Laser Spectroscopy
6. Solid State/Condensed Matter Physics
7. Cosmic Rays and Space Physics
8. Upper Atmospheric Physics (Magnetic Micro-Pulsations)
9. Speech Research/Electronics
The teaching and research activities of the Department have been going on a sound footing. A brief account of the teaching and research activities is presented below.
* The sanctioned faculty position of department is 38 and 40 Research Scholars working in various fields of research.
* The Department of Physics also conducts at least two refresher courses every year in collaboration with the Academic Staff College in different branches of Physics. Besides, Schools and Workshops are also organized for the training of younger scientists of the country.
* This Department is one of the collaborators of an international research programme (ALICE) being conducted at CERN, Geneva. Department is a collaborator in India-based Neutrino Observatory (INO). The Department has a Federation Arrangement with the Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics, Trieste, Italy since 1994. The faculty of the Department has collaborations with many international institutions, like the University of Fukuoka (Japan), University of Mainz (Germany), University of Valencia (Spain), University of Alberta, (Canada), St. Francis Xavier University, Antigonish (Canada), A.N.L.(USA), University of Surrey, UK, National Sun Yat Sen University, Taiwan and Ruder Boskoviv Institute, Zagreb, Croatia. Moreover, the faculty members of the department have collaboration to use national facilities, like the Inter University Accelerator Centre (IUAC), New Delhi, VECC Kolkata, BARC Mumbai and the Institute of Physics, Bhubaneswar.
Details about Seminar Library, computer labs, other labs and facilities in the department
The Department has a Seminar Library catering more than 11000 books and 5000 bound journals. Internet and Xerox facilities are also available in the Library. There is a capacity of 75 persons.
The Department has a Computational Physics Laboratory for B.Sc. III year and Postgraduate students. There are 20 computers in this Lab. The other research labs. in the Department are:
1. High Energy Physics Lab.
2. Nuclear Physics Lab.
3. Electronics Lab.
4. Laser Physics Lab.
5. Spectroscopy Lab.
6. Solid State Physics Lab.
All the faculty members and research scholars have internet facilities in their chambers. The Department has a 50 KVA generator set to get an un-interrupted power supply.