M.Phil in South East Asian & Southwest Pacific StudiesJawaharlal Nehru University
Price on request
- New delhi
M.Phil in South East Asian & Southwest Pacific Studies
Established in 1955, the School of International Studies is the oldest school of the University. During the forty-six years of its existence, the School has established itself as one of the premier institutions in the country for the study of international relations and area studies.
The School has made pioneering contributions in promoting the study of international relations as an academic discipline in India and in advancing knowledge and understanding of international affairs in an inter-disciplinary perspective. The School is also the first institution in the country to promote "Area Studies" and to develop expertise on various counties and regions of the world. It has also acquired an international reputation as a center of advanced learning.
The need for an institution of this type was first felt in years immediately following Independence. The Indian Council of World Affairs, which was then the only institution in the country concerned with foreign affairs, realized that to promote study of international affairs in India effectively, it was important to train young men and women in interpreting current global developments in economic, social and political spheres. It was in pursuance of the recommendations of a committee headed by Pandit Hriday Nath Kunzru that the Indian School of International Studies was established in October 1955 with Dr. A. Appadorai as the first Director of the School.
To begin with, the School was affiliated to the University of Delhi. From September 1961 till the School was merged with the Jawaharlal Nehru University in June 1970, it functioned as a deemed university. Following the merger, the prefix "Indian" was dropped from the name of the School and it became the School of International Studies of the Jawaharlal Nehru University.