M.Sc. BiochemistryAligarh Muslim University
Price on request
The Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Life Science, originated as a modest section of Biochemistry in the Chemistry Department in 1951 and was finally given the status of independent Department in the newly established faculty of Life Sciences on May 8, 1986. The Department has presently 6 Professors, 3 Readers and 3 Lecturers (including 2 in Women's College).
The major trust areas of research in the Department are Environmental, Medical and Industrial biochemistry as approved by the UGC under its DRS-II Programme. The Department has started a two year M.Sc. Programme in Enzyme and Fermentation Technology from this academic session i.e. 2008-2009. Besides this assistance from UGC, the department has also been recognized by DST, New Delhi under its FIST Programme from the session 2002-2003. Moreover, individual research projects have also been received by the teaching of the Department from various funding agencies like CSIR, ICMR and UPCST. The Department continues to publish a remarkable number of papers in high impact factor international journals. The quantum of research publications can be gauged by the fact that the Department having a total teaching faculty of twelve only published 52 papers in the session, 2007-2008. Undergraduate and postgraduate students passing out the Department have also successfully competed for admission in M.Sc. and Ph.D. Programmes respectively in some of the most prestigious institution of the country. The Department has also organized a national symposium under the auspices of UGC-DRS-II Programme on Recent Advances in Biochemistry and Allied Sciences on 25th March, 2008 as well as National Science Day function of the year 2008.
1. The Department has a combined seminar library with the Department of Chemistry.
2. The Department has a well trained staff, with specialization in the various areas of Molecular Biology and hopes to expand the current research activities in the newly emerging areas of Genomics, Proteomics and Bioinformatics. Presently, the Department is actively engaged in research work on Enzyme Engineering and Molecular and Genetic Toxicology.
3. The Department is keen to upgrade the laboratory facilities to the undergraduate and postgraduate students especially to train them for career in Molecular Biology. The Department, thus, aims to establish a "Tissue Culture Laboratory" and "an Instrumentation Lab" for advanced research in Molecular Biology.
4. A "Computer Lab" has also been established to cater to 15 students at a time. This lab has Internet facilities to enable students ready access to on line journals.
5. The Department has remarkable expertise in the area of Enzyme Technology and Molecular Biology. Work being carried out in these areas has been recognized nationally and internationally. The Department is currently receiving support from the UGC in the form of DRS and from Science and Technology, Govt. of India under its FIST Programme. Faculty members of the Department have also successful operated several projects on Enzyme Technology and related areas.