M.Sc. MicrobiologyKovai Medical Center Research & Educational Trust
Price on request
Frequent Asked Questions
B.Sc Microbiology / Industrial Microbiology / Medical Microbiology/ Botany / Zoology/ Biology/ Biochemisty / Biotechnology
Microbes are indispensable components of our ecosystem and they help in the recycling of biogeochemicals such as carbon, oxgen, nitrogen, and sulphur in terrestrial and aquatic system. They also serve as a source of nutrients at the base of all encological food webs. They are necessary for the production of bread, cheese, beer, antibiotics, vaccines, vitamins, enzymes and many other important products. Indeed modern biotechnology rests upon a microbiological foundation.
Microbes are now recognized as the dominant life form on the earth. They were the first living organisms in our planet. Live virtually everywhere where life is possible, are most numerous than any other kind of organisms and probably constitute the largest component of the earth's biomass. It has great impact on medicine, agriculture, food science, ecology, genetics, biochemistry and many other fields.
In this scenario, no doubt microbiology could focus on innovative research perspectives in the minds of students, that could guide them to travel in the path of wisdom, which in turn serve the mankind in many ways.
Microbiology provides employment opportunities in the area of formulation research, analytical development, clinical research and in new drug discovery at national & International Level.
Highlights and Achievements
* The College was honored by Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), New Delhi for organizing I Louis Pasteur memorial national Symposium on Infectious Diseases.
* Mr. N. Prabhu, Lecturer, Department of Microbiology, received Rs. 30,000/- for Dissemination of Innovative Technology (DIT).
* The department is supported by Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), with a sum of Rs. 25,000/ for organizing II Louis Pasteur memorial National symposium.
* Mr. N. Prabhu, Lecturer in Microbiology, received Best Teacher Award from Med India Hospitals, Coimbatore.
* Dr.S.S.Sudha and Mr.N.Prabhu acted as invited speakers for CMA.
* Dr.S.S.Sudha presented papers in NAAC Sponsored National seminar at Rathinam College and Arulmegu Palaniandavar College for Women.
* Mr.E.Kumaran presented a paper in NAAC Sponsored National seminar at Iyyannadar Janakiammal College.
* Mr.N.Prabhu Acted as Resource person in five different National Seminars conducted in different places.
* Conducting Common seminar system for students in every week – a unique system.
* Entire I M.Sc. Students participated in National Conference on Medicinal & Aromatic plants for public health at Karunya University.
* Entire I M.Sc. Students participated in 10th Sir Dorabji Tata Symposium on Mechanism of Microbial Pathogenesis at Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.
* Just a minute programme introduced on 26th March 2009.
* More than 40 papers presented by PG and UG Students in various National and District level seminars.
* More than 15 papers published by faculty members this academic year alone.
The department offers master degree in Microbiology.