Managing ConflictsPolimi Open Knowledge
What you'll learn on the course
In any social context, conflicts, as well as being inevitable, are also essential for grasping the potential of diversity and for growing as a person. Learning to deal with conflicts in a constructive way is essential. In reality, however, we give the word ‘conflict’ negative connotations and this is often what makes us react in a dysfunctional manner.
In private it is often easier to express dissent in a discussion or talk about our needs and hurt feelings.
But the more we feel more intimate with the other party (e.g... partner, family member or friend), the more we feel that he/she will be able to understand and forgive us for our emotional spills.
In the professional world , when we are in the midst of a conflict, we feel more restrained in expressing our needs or feelings openly, tending more to hide difficulties, until the conflict explodes in a completely unexpected way for the counter-party. Having complete emotional control is often seen as an ideal professional approach; 'emotional control', however, should not imply a denial of the emotional world.
Conflicts in the private and the professional worlds have the same general characteristics. What changes is our way of dealing with them, depending on the context, situations and interlocutors.
- The course is structured in 5 weeks, sub-divided into modules.
- The modules have different lessons within them, consisting of texts, videos, quizzes and individual self-reflection exercises.
- You can get involved by doing the Role Plays, which allow you to experiment with different reactions to some example conflict situations.
- We advise you to follow the pathway in a linear manner, but you can freely move between content, if it is more useful for your learning style.
- It is important that you respect your own pace: the length indications are a rough estimate, but your pace should guide you in the best way for the enjoyment and individual reflection on the topics covered in the proposed pathway.
- There are also some additional resources, collected in additional material, so you reach a level of detail greater in some topics of your interest and / or tackle some specific tests that can give you some further indication on your attitude.
Further editions of this course will be activated each academic year.