Master of Dental Surgery ( Oral Pathology, Microbiology & Forensic Odontology )Sibar Institute of Dental Sciences
Price on request
The Sibar Institute of Dental Sciences offers Master of Dental Surgery (Oral Pathology, Microbiology & Forensic Odontology) to its students. The course structure for it is as follows:
1. Bio-statistics & research methodology:
* Study of bio-statistics as applied to dentistry and research. Definition, aim, characteristics and limitations of statistics.
* Planning of statistical experiments, sampling, collection, classification and presentation of date (tables, graphs, pictograms etc.) analysis of data.
* Introduction to bio-statistical scope and need for statistical application to biological data
* Definition of selected terms-scale of measurements related to statistics. Methods of collecting data presentation as statistical diagrams and graphs.
* Frequency curves means mode and median standard deviation and co-efficient of variation correlation efficient and its significance binomial distributions normal distribution tests of significance
* Research methodology research protocal
Approach: Didactic lectures on biostatistics & discussion on research methodology
by eminent researcher.
2. Applied gross anatomy of head and neck & general physiology
Topics as relevant to oral pathology course
Approach: topic to be covered as didactic lectures
3. Cell biology
Detailed study of structure and function of the mammalian cell. with special emphasis on structural features and molecular aspects. Detailed consideration of cellular junctions, cell cycle and division, cell cycle regulators, cell-to-cell and cell-extra cellular matrix interaction. Approach: topic to be covered as didactic lectures & as seminars
4. Histology (General)
* Light microscopic and electron microscopic consideration:
* Histology of epithelial tissues including glands
* Histology of general and specific connective tissue including bone
* Hemopoietic System, lymphatic system etc.
* Muscle and neural tissues
* Digestive system with special reference to stomach intestine liver panceras etc
* Urinary system including kidney etc.
* Endocrinal system including thyroid.
Approach: Topics to be covered as didactic system lectures & slide discussion
Maintainance of histology records.
5. Biochemistry (General)
* Chemistry of carbohydrates lipids and proteins
* Methods of identification and purification
* Metabolism of carbohydrate lipids and proteins
* Biologic oxidation
* Various techniques applied including cell filtration, centrifugation, electrophoresis spectrophotometer, and radioactive techniques.
Approach: Topic to be covered didactic lectures posting in biochemistry lab to
familiarize with the relevant laboratory technical.
6. Pathology (General)
* Pathogenic mechanism at a molecular level
* Cellular changes following injury – Degeneration Necrosis & Repair
* Inflammation and chemical mediators
* Edema thrombosis, Embolism ,Hemorrhage & Shock
* Blood dyscrasias
* Neoplasia in detail
Approach: Topics to be covered as seminars, record notebook to be maintained
7. Microbiology (General)
* General aspects including molecular structure of selected organisms
* Bacteriology of selected organisms
* Mycology of selected topics
* Virology of selected topics
* Parasitology – selected aspects only
Approach: Topics to be covered as didactic lectures & seminars
Posting in Microbiology lab to familiarize with the relevant laboratory techniques (collection & transport & preservation of specimens, culture & Sensitivity techniques) record notebook to be maintained.
8. Basic immunology
* Cell mediated and humoral immunity
* Antigen – Antibody reactions
* Graft versus host reaction anutoimmunity
* Molecules and their mechanisms involved in defence
Approach: topics to be covered as didactic lectures & Seminars.Posting in microbiology lab to familiarize with routine immunological diagnostic methods.
Oral Pathology, Microbiology & Forensic Odontology
FIRST YEAR MDS Module I – B (Duration – 6 months)
9. Oral Biology (Oral & Dental Histology including embryology & Oral physiology)
* Detailed structural and functional study of the oral dental and para oral tissues with emphasis on ultra structure, molecular and biochemical aspects.
* Development of Oral and para oral tissues including detailed aspects of tooth dental hard tissues formation etc.
* Study of Morphology of permanent & deciduous teeth
* Applied aspects – influence of hormones by nutrients etc on growth, development & structure of oral soft & hard tissues & para oral tissues
Approach:Topics to be covered as seminars & slide discussions.
Record notebook to be maintained.
10. Basic molecular biology and genetics
* Detailed molecular aspects of DNA, RNA golgi apparatus, endoplasmic reticulum and other intracellular organelles, transcription and translation plasmids & molecular biology techniques. Experimental
Approach : Topics to be covered as didactic lectures. Posting in centres where facilities are available for demonstration of routine molecular biology techniques.
11. Basic histo techniques and microscopy
* Theoretical aspects of Microscopy – light & various other types including electron microscopy
* Methods of tissue preparation for:- ground & decalcified sections, light microscopy and electron microscopy
* Routine staining procedures & theory of staining