Maulana Azad Medical College and associated hospital complex consist of four integral units, names Maulana Azad Medical College, Lok Nayak Hospital, Govind Ballabh Pant Hospital and Guru Nanak Eye Centre. The college was established twenty two years after the commissioning of Irwin Hospital, a well established general hospital drawing patients mainly from Delhi and from the neighboring states of Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh and Rajasthan.
This ideally situated general hospital with long years of reputation paved the way for realization of this medical college.
The college made its humble beginning in hospital block of Irwin (Lok Nayak) hospital 1958. The foundation of main building of the college was laid by Pandit Govind Ballabh Pant, the then Home Minister of India, on 24th October, 1959. this building was declared open by the first Prime Minister of India, Pandit Jawahar Lal Nehru on 26th February, 1961.
In 1964, Govind Ballabh Pant Hospital was added to the complex to provide training facilities and super-specialties. The Guru Nanak Eye Centre came into existence on 20th December, 1977 with the commissioning of a separate out patient department for ophthalmic diseases. The wards for the indoor patients were added in 1986. The long awaited demand of the residents of Union Territory of Delhi for a Dental wing was met with the establishment of a separate Dental Wing in 1983. This wing has become fully established Dental College since 2003.