The first attempt for the introduction of a proper medical training was undertaken by Lord William Bentinck. As a fruit of his effort and long persuasion, government order was passed to set up a medical college in Calcutta which is known as Calcutta Medical College. As the resolution was passed on 28th January, 1835, this day is observed as the Foundation Day of the College. What we see at the premises of Calcutta Medical College and Hospital, did not exist during the early period of its inception. An old house at the rear of the Hindu College was converted for use as the New Medical College.
Arial view of the premises in 1934
This was used till the premises of the Petty Court Jail, the site of which included a part of the present building housing the Physiology and other departments and a part of the field to he north of Administrative Block, was ready for use. The first batch of the students numbered 50 and they received stipend from Rs. 7 to 12 per month. The period of the study was for four years on completion of which, they were to appear at the final examination conducted under supervision of the committee of the Council of Education. The successful students after passing the final examination received certificates of qualification to practise Medicine and Surgery, and would receive pay as Native Doctors starting with Rs. 30 per month, for being employed under government. With this, the books and apparatus of the abolished Native Institution was made over.