National Institute of Technology, Warangal (Deemed University), formerly known as Regional Engineering College, was established in 1959. Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru laid the foundation stone for this institute on October 10, 1959, the first in the chain of 18 NITs (formerly known as RECs) in the country.
The Institute is well known for its dedicated faculty and staff, state-of-the-art infrastructure and excellent placement. As a NIT, it is in the processes of improving its standards to the level of a global technical institute. The curriculum has already been changed following the IIT pattern. The infrastructure in the Institute is also being gradually improved. The Institute has received World Bank Assistance of Rs. 11.41 crores under TEQIP (Technical Education Quality Improvement Programme) for its development in 2004.
It offers seven graduate programmes (B.Tech.) in engineering, twenty four post graduate programmes (M.Tech., M.Sc., M.C.A. and M.B.A.) in engineering, sciences and management and Research programmes (Ph.Ds) in Engineering, Sciences, Humanities and Physical Education. The institute is well-known for its Research and Development, Industrial consultancy, Continuing education and Training programmes for teachers and industrial personnel.
It is located on a site of 248 acres extending on either side of Hyderabad - Warangal highway at a distance of 3 Kms from Kazipet Railway Station and 12Kms from Warangal Railway Station. It is located at a distance of 140 Kms fro