Ph.D. in SociologyChrist University
Price on request
Frequent Asked Questions
The basic eligibility of candidates intending to pursue a doctoral programme is a pass with a minimum of 55% in a Postgraduate Programme and M. Phil from any recognized University.Candidates residing/working anywhere in India or abroad are eligible for registration.However, candidates who are employed SHALL NOT be permitted any exemption from required period of course work.
Ph.D. in Sociology
Christ University confers on the eligible candidates, the academic degree of Doctor of
Philosophy (Ph. D) on the basis of a coursework in research methodology and the particular
domain/s; publications in refereed journals; participation and/or presentation in
National/International seminars; a dissertation; and its public defense. The degree
certificate indicates the discipline under which the degree was pursued, the title of the
dissertation and the date of public defense.
Following academic disciplines have been identified for the doctoral research programme:
Psychology, Philosophy, Physics, Education, Sociology, Management, Commerce, Computer Science, Mathematics, Economics, Media Studies, English Literature, Social Work, Tourism and History.
The coursework required under the Ph.D. regulations of Christ University is as follows.
Duration of the coursework shall be 6 months from the date the student is assigned to the Guide and shall be counted within the overall duration of two years for the Ph. D Programme.
Coursework shall have following components with reference to the field of research proposal based on which the candidate is admitted for the Ph. D Programme.
1. Literature Review – Review of related literature. Reasonable amount of literature review
covering different aspects of the field of research must be done within the duration of the coursework.
2. The candidate will be required to participate in a an Orientation Seminar organized by the University in the beginning of the Courses.
3. Candidate shall interact with the guide for a period of not less than 60 hours to acquaint himself/herself with the critical review of research design.
4. The Guide and the student have to jointly structure the coursework component with a set time table including tentative schedule of personal meetings between them.
5. The finalized time table signed by the Student and the Guide be sent to the Research Centre within 15 days from the date of commencement of the Coursework.
6. The Guide shall send a bi-monthly report in the prescribed format to the Research Centre.