Post Graduate Diploma in Maritime Economics and OperationsTolani Maritime Institute (Pune)
Price on request
- Post Graduate Diploma
India has a long history of trading with other countries. In olden days, trade was conducted across the sea through the sailing ships, the trend of which has continued till today. Over the years, world trade has increased by leaps and bounds and the shipping and the Ports have taken revolutionary steps to suit the growing needs of the trade. In fact, today 90% of Indian trade depends on sea route.
It is a universally known and accepted fact that the Maritime trade plays a significant and very important role in the Country's Economy as a whole.
With advancement of the technology, most modern, superior and faster ships have been built to suit the needs of the trade. This has created a need for skilled and efficient manpower to man these modern ships as well as safe handling of the cargoes they carry with the necessary support from shore staff. This cannot be achieved unless the shore staff has sound knowledge of maritime economics and operations.
Safe Navigation and Safety of human beings, Prevention of Marine Environment from Pollution are challenging jobs and have their priorities for the officers and crew serving on these modern ships. Skilled personnel with proper training both ashore and on board the ships has therefore become a top priority for the Shipping Management in order to achieve highest productivity and safe handling of cargoes to the customers' satisfaction.
Keeping this in mind, Tolani Education Foundation has entered into an agreement with the Department of Economics (DOE), University of Mumbai for starting a Post Graduate Diploma Programme in Maritime Economics and Operations from the academic year of 2009/2010. The programme will be jointly conducted by DOE and Tolani Maritime Institute situated at Andheri (East), Mumbai - 400 093.
The main aim of the programme is to:
- The programme is aimed at providing the Indian maritime industry with much needed steady stream of knowledgeable professionals who would come up with innovative solutions to meet future challenges and help these companies become globally competitive for the benefit of their end-users.
- Accordingly the programme has been designed to equip students with adequate skills and knowledge in General Management, Legal Provisions, Human Resources, Technical/Commercial Operations, Insurance & Risk Management, Finance & significantly Safety of ships and human life and Protection of Marine Environment.
- On successful completion of the programme, students are expected to integrate knowledge acquired into their work lives making them eligible to occupy Managerial positions in Shipping Companies, Agency Houses, Clearing and Forwarding (C&F) Firms, NVOCC Firms, Export/Import Houses, large manufacturing and trading concerns, related Government Departments and undertakings and in Major Ports worldwide.
A Bachelor's Degree of University of Mumbai in any discipline or of any other recognised University. Any officer holding 'COC Master FG' is also eligible since that qualification is recognised by the University of Mumbai as equivalent to a degree.
Commencement and Duration
The Programme consists of two terms of six months duration each and will commence from the Academic Year 2010-11 of the University of Mumbai. Classes will be conducted from 1800 hrs to 2100 hrs on week days and if required on week ends from 0900 hrs to 1300 hrs at Tolani Maritime Institute, Sher-e-Punjab Society, Andheri (East), Mumbai - 400 093.
Term I: End July to End Nov
Term II: Early Jan to End Apr
Term I: 1st week of Dec
Term II: 2nd week of May
On successful completion of the programme, students will be awarded a Post Graduate Diploma in Maritime Economics and Operations by the Department of Economics, University of Mumbai.
- Methodological Skills
- Principles of Economics
- Principles of Management
- Maritime Operations
- Legal Provisions and Issues in Maritime Operations
- Industrial Relations & HRD in Maritime Operations
- Maritime Economics
- Maritime Technical Operations
- Maritime Commercial Operations
- Maritime Risk Management & Insurance
- Protection of Marine Environment
- Finance for Maritime Operations
* Internship for one month in a related Industry
The total fees for the programme is Rs 36,000/-, which includes examination fees of Rs 2,000/- and a Refundable Library Deposit of Rs 1,000/-. Enrolment Fees, Registration Fees, Eligibility fees, etc, as applicable (Approximately Rs 1500/-), will be charged separately.
Eligible candidates will have to appear for a personal interview, which will be held at the Institute. The date of the interview which would be approximately within ten days of the last date for submission of duly completed application form will be intimated to eligible candidates through their email Id. The final selection will be based only on the merit in the personal interview.