Post Graduate Programme in Agricultural EconomicsBirsa Agricultural University
Price on request
- Post Graduate Diploma
Post Graduate Programme in Agricultural Economics
Agricultural education was first started in Bihar in 1945 with the establishment of Bihar Agricultural College at Sabour in the district of Bhagalpur. Later on, it was realised that the agricultural situation and features of the plateau region of South Bihar is different from the rest of Bihar. Hence there was a need of a second college for this region. Ranchi Agricultural College was established in 1955, Ranchi Veterinary College in 1962 and College of Forestry in 1980. Considering the importance of agricultural education for the agricultural development of the state, the first Agricultural University in Bihar - Rajendra Agricultural University was started in1971 with its headquarters at Pusa. In view of the specific agriculture features of Chotanagpur and Santhal Parganas, the establishment of a second Agricultural University, for this region of the Bihar State, was conceived.
Birsa Agricultural University was established on 26th June, 1981 after its formal inauguration by the then Prime Minister of India, Late Smt. Indira Gandhi. Its primary objective is to develop area specific technologies and manpower in the field of agriculture, animal husbandry and forestry for the agricultural development of the plateau region of Bihar and economic upliftment of tribal and other backward class population of the region. The programmes and activities of education, research and extension are carried out through three faculties (Agriculture, Veterinary Sciences & Animal Husbandry and Forestry) with thirty five departments, College of Biotechnology, six Directorates, three Zonal Research Stations and farms, one University farm, twelve Krishi Vigyan Kendras, Computer Centre, Central Library and other infrastructure and service units. Being a completely residential university, hostels for boys and girls, and residential facilities for Teachers/Scientists and supporting staff have been provided in the campus.