Short Story WritingCity University London
Price on request
- Short course
- Islington (England)
What you'll learn on the course
Skills and Training
You will learn the skills and knowledge required to work with the short story form. In addition, you will also:
- Develop your creativity and critical thinking, as well as your editing skills.
- Practise a range of writing techniques from traditional approaches to more experimental methods.
- Receive professional feedback on your work from a published writer and editor.
- Gain insight into the writing industry, including publishing advice.
- Ideas and Inspiration
- Plot and Structure
- Voice, Dialogue and Point of View
- Genre + Short Story Workshop 1
- Editing + Short Story Workshop 2
- Publishing + Short Story Workshop 3
- Future Opportunities + Short Story Workshop 4
- To produce a short story in a style and genre of your choice.
- To understand how a short story works on different levels.
- To learn strategies for improving your short story writing.
- To practise using different fictional devices and techniques.
- To engage with your work and others’ work both creatively and critically.
- To experience short story writing as a combination of imagination and disciplined practice.
Teaching and Assessment
You will be assessed by three criteria: (1) your contribution to class discussions, (2) your in-class work and homework exercises, and (3) your submitted short story. Throughout the course, you will receive ongoing feedback from both your tutor and your peers.