Mumbai, established in 1959, was the first institution in Mumbai to offer Home Science at a degree level. It is also the first college of S.N.D.T. Women’s University to be granted autonomous status from the year 1995-96. Being an autonomous college, it is governed by statutory bodies such as Board of Management, (chaired by the Vice Chancellor of SNDT University), Finance Board, Academic council, Board of studies of each department, faculty committee comprising of teaching and non teaching staff and other functional departments and committees.
The munificence of Thackersey made it possible to have a separate college of Home Science. It started with a modest enrollment of 23 students and a few dedicated teachers who worked under the guidance of expert home scientist from India and the United States of America. Under the Technical Co-operation Mission and the Government of India, the College received equipments for laboratories, books on the subjects, technical assistance through American experts and foreign training for its Home Science teachers. In 1967, it was named as Sir Vithaldas Thackersey College of Home Science. Instructions under the degree programme were initially offered in three media - English, Gujarati and Marathi. However, with the increasing demand and popularity of the academic field of Home Science, the College switched over entirely to the medium of English in 1975.