Spanish Year 2 (Lower Intermediate)City University London
Price on request
- Short course
- Islington (England)
What you'll learn on the course
Please note that some topics of Spanish Year 1 will be revised at the beginning of the academic year. The course outline below is only a guide and topics will be studied according to students' needs and progress.
Personal introductions; work and studies; character description; plans and projects; food and the restaurant; past experiences and recent events; opinions, likes and dislikes; shopping for clothes; comparisons; life in a city/village; directions.
Revision of the present tense: regular and irregular verbs, reflexive verbs; ir a + infinitive; pretérito perfecto; ya/todavía no; direct object pronouns; interrogative clauses; expressions to agree and disagree; tener que/hay que; quantifiers.
* Talking about studies and work
* Expressing necessity
* Expressing opinions and preferences
* Describing personality
* Asking and giving information about food
* To go shopping
* Making plans for the future
* Describing places and making comparisons
* Asking for and giving directions
* Talking about recent events and experiences in the past
Holidays and travelling; the weekend; biographies; past events; permission and favours; opinions about past events; situations happening at the moment of speaking; food preparation and customs in the Spanish-speaking world; health and body; the weather; transport; invitations.
Pretérito indefinido, regular and irregular verbs; adverbials of past time; superlatives; estar + gerund; prepositions; pretérito perfecto vs pretérito indefinido; verbs gustar and parecer in the past; ser and estar; the impersonal form with se.
* Talking about past events
* Writing a biography
* Describing a holiday, talking about the weekend
* Expressing what someone is doing
* Expressing opinions about events in the past
* Talking about food preferences and habits
* Asking for permission/a favour
* Making invitations, apologising, making excuses
* Describing symptoms and giving advice
* Talking about the weather
Habits and descriptions in the past; circumstances of a past event; anecdotes and stories; instructions to do things; suggestions and recommendations; descriptions of objects.
Pretérito imperfecto; connectors; time expressions; pretérito imperfecto vs pretérito indefinido; expressions to give opinions and to debate; imperfecto de estar + gerund; imperative form; pronoun position.
* Describing circumstances in the past
* Describing habits in the past
* Talking about memories
* Comparing the present moment with periods in the past
* Telling a story
* Arranging past events in sequence
* Giving advice and making recommendations
* Giving instructions
* Describing objects
Teaching and Assessment
The emphasis in this course is on listening and speaking. The lessons focus on language that is required in authentic situations.Classroom activities will include: role-playing, class room discussion, pair and group work, work on pronunciation and intonation as well as grammar in context. Listening to audio clips and watching videos are an important element in our lessons. More comprehensive grammar exercises and reading texts are generally set as homework. All evaluation will take place in a relaxed and informal setting.