Superspeciality in Pulmonary MedicineMAHARASHTRA UNIVERSITY OF HEALTH SCIENCES
Price on request
Superspeciality in Pulmonary Medicine
To develop competent specialist and medical teachers who can appreciate health
needs of the community, perform professional obligations observing ethics and
keeping in view the objectives of national health policy at various levels of
health care delivery system as well as be aware of contemporary and recent
developments in the concerned discipline and updating with latest advances.
I - ANATOMY OF THE LUNG & DEVELOPMENT & GENETICS OF LUNG
II - PHYSIOLOGY :
· Respiratory Mechanics
· Physiology of Respiration & Ventilation.
· Physiological basis of pulmonary function testing & arterial blood gases.
· Acid based disturbances
· Physiology aspects related to mechanical ventilation
· Physiology related to endocrine aspects of lung
· Sleep physiology
· Patho-physiology of all disorders pertaining to pulmonary medicine.
III - PUBLIC HEALTH & EPIDEMIOLOGY:
· Epidemiological aspects of major respiratory and public health problems like
tuberculosis, asthma, interstitial lung disease & occupational & environmental
IV - PULMONARY REHABILATION
V -SURGICAL ASPECTS;
· Surgical interventions in various pulmonary disorders including trauma,
infections & lung transplantation & minimally invasive interventions.
VI- MEDICO-LEGAL ASPECTS:
· Principles of care for patient requiring mechanical ventilation.
· Long term oxygen therapy
· Compensation (occupational lung disorders)
· Fitness & disability evaluation.
· Personal Protective measures for occupational health, biosafety guidelines for
medical equipment & waste disposal.
· Human Rights, ethical aspects, consent for procedures/newer drug development.
Aspects related to medical procedures & interventions performed in various
VII- RECENT ADVANCES :
· Drug development in respiratory medicine.
· Sleep Medicine
· Invasive diagnostic techniques
· Lung in extreme conditions.
VIII- INFECTIONS :
· Tuberculosis (pulmonary & extrapulmonary)
· Opportunistic infections related to immunocompromised state & other infections
in immunocompetent individuals.
· Infections related to systemic illnesses
IX - ENVIRONMENTAL MEDICINE RELATED TO PULMONARY MEDICINE
WITH SPECIAL REFERENCE TO AIR POLLUTION & OCCUPATIONAL
X - PULMONARY CRITICAL CARE ASPECTS :
XI -CONVENTIONAL CHEST RADIOLOGY & LUNG IMAGING
XII - PULMONARY CIRCULATORY DISORDERS.
XIII - DISEASES OF AIRWAYS
XIV - NEOPLASTIC DISEASES
XV - DISEASES OF MEDIASTINUM
XVI - INTERSTITIAL LUNG DISEASE
XVII - PULMONARY INFECTIONS.
XVIII - PROBLEM BASED LEARNING FOR THEORY & PRACTICAL ON EACH
ASPECT (REFERENCE : W.H.O.) :
· Cause of the complaint
· Ways to differentiate between possible causes
· Pathophysiological mechanisms responsible for the complaint and clinical
· Best possible management strategies.
· Prevention of recurrence.