Take Your Medicine: How to Be a Savvy Consumer - University of Texas at AustinedX
What you'll learn on the course
Medicines have eradicated or eased the symptoms of many diseases. This course explores the process, challenges and issues facing consumers when it comes to pharmaceutical products. An overview of drug development and approval with a focus on consumer issues will be presented and discussed in the context of regulations, public welfare, and healthcare providers. Participants from all backgrounds and interest, including scientists, healthcare professionals, entrepreneurs and the general public, are encouraged to participate.
What you'll learn
What you'll learn
- Understand why drugs cost so much
- Know the difference between brand and generic drug products
- Discuss the issues related to counterfeit and generic drugs
- Understand the issues and considerations of manufacturing pharmaceuticals
- Discuss the role of the FDA in regulations and product approvals
- Learn how to talk effectively with healthcare professionals and have a greater understanding when reading news stories
- Recognize the role of personalized medicine in future therapies
- Learn about the potential and impact of personalized medicine
Dr. Janet Walkow Dr. Janet Walkow is the Executive Director and Chief Technology Officer of the Drug Dynamics Institute (DDI). She is passionate about the need for scientists and the general public to understand how medical therapies are developed. Dr. Alan Watts Dr. Alan Watts is the Assistant Director of the Drug Dynamics Institute (DDI). With academic and industry experience in drug product development, Alan has first-hand knowledge of the steps necessary to help new drug products reach the clinical stage. Dr. Donna Kidwell Dr. Donna Kidwell is the Co-Founder and President of Webstudent International. Her mission is to help universities and industry share knowledge and invention throughout the world.