UNIX Tools and Shell ScriptingCity University London
In Islington (England)
Price on request
- Short course
- Islington (England)
What you'll learn on the course
Basic IT training
Skills and Training
What will I learn?
- Some basic UNIX concepts: processes, pipes and file descriptors, signals, file system structure, basic security model (permissions, file modes, users, groups).
- Many common UNIX commands, including more sophisticated tools and their options, e.g. xargs, join, uniq, find, sort.
- Bourne shell: variables, conditionals, loops, functions, traps, etc.
- AWK programming language, POSIX regular expressions and sed.
- Bash extensions: advanced parameter expansion and conditional blocks, arrays (including associative arrays), I/O redirection, etc.
- Will become familiar with some specialised tools, e.g. netcat, socat and curl.
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Write sophisticated programs using sh/bash/awk/sed.
- Distinguish Bourne shell dialects and standard/non-standard features.
- Use shell for solving problems such as tabular data processing and automation.
- Apply the skills in such roles as DevOps, system administrator, software engineer.