The history of Women's College is entwined with the history of Women education in undivided Cachar district after independence. Along with the rest of the country, the independence and partition of India brought a dramatic upheaval in political, social and economic life of Barak Valley - a region still not easily accessible. The security and comfort of the agrarian life-style got disturbed and women had to come out to shoulder equal responsibility of earning a living. To acquire both employability and intellectual capability, women needed to be educated and two existing colleges - Gurucharan College (1935) and Cachar College (1960) could not bear the influx of so many aspiring minds. Many intellectuals and social workers of that period thus felt a need to open a college exclusively to cater for the higher education needs of the women.
This feeling was given a shape of a movement by the dedicated effort of Late Dhirendra Mohan Deb who was sincerely supported by eminent persons like N.C. Shyam, Late J.C. Purkayastha, Late Dr. Sudhangshu Nath and others.
The first meeting for organizing the Women's College was held on July 31st, 1963 in the Normal School premises of Silchar and was attended by some twenty-two educationalists, officials, social and political workers. The meeting resolved to start 'Women's College', Silchar from 1st of August, 1963 in the premises of Normal School in morning shift. Late D.C. Dutta was appointed as Principal and teachers of other institutions pr