DESHBANDHU COLLEGE was established in the year 1952 by the Ministry of Rehabilitation, in the memory of Late LalaDeshbandhu Gupta - a veteran freedom fighter. The college made a humble beginning with just 72 students and the courses like Prep(arts), Prep(science) and Pre-medical. The college was transferred to Ministry of Education and later taken over by the University of Delhi. Guided by the mantra "Karmanyevadhikaraste" - our motto, the college continues to grow both in size and stature. Today, Deshbandhu is a fully maintained constituent college of University of Delhi and has the distinction of being the oldest and the largest co-educational institution in South Delhi promoting Arts, Commerce and Science courses. The college offers eight post graduate and twenty undergraduate courses in disciplines ranging from languages, history, political science, economics, commerce to all the major branches of science and mathematics and caters to over 2000 students every year.
The sprawling campus of Deshbandhu college, with its lawns, gardens and extensive grounds provides a healthy environment for all round development of the generation next. The campus is dotted with an Administrative block, Arts block, an old block , a huge library and a Science block with well equipped laboratories, together with students' common rooms, a gymnasium and a canteen . The college is working actively towards realizing its plan for a women's hostel.
To encourage self-learning and to satisfy the thirst for knowledge of the students, the college library has a massive collection of about 90,000 books, a host of journals and magazines, a spacious reading room, a separate floor for teachers and research scholars, and a book bank section which lends text books to needy students.